Very large dewlap

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbypanda

Reaction score
My female rabbit is about 3 years old. I have 2 who are cage mates. She has had no known problems. Her mate had no known problems other than once losing a lot of hair which we determined was the result of this bunny over grooming her. That was about 8 months ago.
I went to clean their cage today and her dewlap is absolutely huge!
It was not this way before and is very very large.
I am about to try to feel it.

Aside from taking her to the vet (b/c I will do that) what could this be and what should I be looking for aside from lumps.

She is eating and going bathroom normal as far as I can tell.
She does not seem lethargic, her belly isnt distended or anything either.
Thanks in advance.

Definitely try feeling for lumps. This is exactly what happened with one of my rabbits - one day, he suddenly seemed to have a huge dewlap, except it was on his chin. He ended up having an infection that needed antibiotics.

Is she spayed? I've heard of unspayed female rabbits getting big dewlaps for a while after a false pregnancy.

She is not spayed. I touched it as best I could, it was just soft and not lumpy.
She didnt seem to mind too much but she didnt want me touching under her chin where she couldnt see me. I kinda poked at and touched hte sides.

I agree that rapid changes in dewlap size in a bunny that's well past puberty are a reason to have the vet check her.

Back