Very first bonding experience

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BRbunnies

Reaction score
1st time yesterday wasn't so bad, today was kind of bad and short.

Funny thing is it seems Alice is very dominant. I am a total newbie at rabbits and you can read my experience so far in my intro message.

The tiny Alice flattened and presented herself to be groomed twice by the 3X bigger Sabrina. Sabrina ignored her. There was some nose to nose sniffing, some protective behavior - Sabrina was circling me and seemed annoyed when Alice tried to approach. This was yesterday.

Today Sabrina got really annoyed. She chased Alice and bit her 2 or 3 times. Also, Aliced did pee on two corners of the small neutral room (before she got chased and bitten). She did it in one corner and then after 1 minute did on the other corner. Just like a dog, like marking her place! But at this early age? I mean, she is somewhere between 45-50 days I think! Do rabbits do that? I know they mark territory when they are older but I didn't know they do it when they are so tiny too. Well, after the chse/bit I ended the thing.

I know this is too early and I have NO experience but I have a feeling these two won't bond...

I'm sorry, you are trying to bond two females, is this correct? The easiest pairs to bond are a male and female. 2 males or 2 females can be done, it's just harder. They mush also be spayed/neutered to curb behavior issues. Are they spayed?

Yes, they are 2 females and they will be spayed. Sabrina is just 3 months and will be spayed next month, and Alice is just too young yet. But oh, well, maybe they will just be next door neighbors. Thanks for the reply.

Glad you're having them spayed. Thing is, you could get them bonded after the spays (if it doesn't happen before), but when they hit their teenage stage, this could all be broken and you may have to begin again. They tend to change a bit after being spayed, not always. Then the teenage stage, so just keep that in mind;).

I think you moved too fast, I don't advice putting the bunnies in a neutral room until you are 100% sure they wont bite each other.

To bond them, I first put the new bunny in a cage in the old bunny's room and let them smell and get used to each other. I do this for as long as it takes for the bunnies to interact with each other through the wires calmly and friendly. Then I put them both next to me and pet them constantly not letting them interact. When i can do that with the 2 bunnies being relaxed and comfortable, only then i move on to the neutral territory and the actual introduction.

The more they fight, the less chances they have to be bond, or at least the longer it will take you, because rabbits have a very good memory. So biting and scratching is something you want to avoid, even if it takes you months or a year of getting them ready before putting them together in a room.

I agree with the thought that waiting and getting them spayed first is a good idea. I have found females notoriuously stroppy as they hit the "teenage" phase andI think your 3month old bun will get there soon! :?

I can only advise from personal experience but I have 14 bonded into a group so have done quite a bit of bonding and personally, whilst some people say it is best to pair the opposite sex, I think it is all dependant on the temperament of the rabbit rather than their sex. I'm not a fan of letting rabbits get to know each other through the wire either - I have tried it - Jess and Shadow would lie next to each other quite happily with the wire inbetween, (and it was soft wire so at times they even seemed to be lying on top of each other!) but when I put them together they fought like mad - I had enough fur to start a pillow stuffing business!! :biggrin2:I also believe that the best way to bond rabbits is to go for the all or nothing approach. Introducing rabbits and then splitting them up means the next time they meet the whole process is started again. They're not like us, they don't build up friendships like we do. They need to meet, decide who's the boss and then be allowed to get on with it. I'd advice you find a couple of days when you have time to spend with them and introduce them then. Hope some of that helps. Good Luck!

Ps Jess and Shadow are now living together as part of my 14. Even the ones that fight at first can still get on.

wow, 14 rabbits together, I want to see pictures!! I make the bunnies meet through a wire more for me really, to see the reaction, I do agree is not guaranty of anything that they will groom, lay together and play through the wire.. but it does give me an idea of what to do next. I like to take things really slow, I have never had a bunny fight and I try to avoid having one!

I also do like you, once I properly introduce them there is no way back, they have to learn to put up and live with each other. I have found that separating them and then starting again does more harm than good, cause they start more shy or with fear or traumatized after they had a fight.

Augstina is right with the fact that rabbits have a good memory, I think I read that in my HRS handbook, that if they fight, they remember it. That's why some say that during a bonding session, you want to end on a good note, if you can, but is not always the case:).

Thank you everybody for the replies! Everything is being taken in consideration. I'm learning more about their personalities each day and who knows, maybe in the future these two will be bonded. ;)

Back