Very depressed bunny mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oglie2000

Reaction score
Well today I got terrible news and I am looking for someone to cheer me up. My bunny which I have sought advice on here before passed away. I feel like the worst bunny mom ever. She went from eating the night before and hoping around during the day to the night me giving her some simethicone since she just started the symptoms of GI stasis. Even the night before she was having normal poos. I gave her everything that was suggested when I thought she had it before. Fresh greens cilantro, collard greens, ity bity bit of basil, 1/4 cup pellets and plenty of hay. I just don't know how I could miss it.

I feel horrible because I gave her the medicine and wanted to see if it would work, well by morning I made the the emergency 1 and half trip to the vets in arkon as suggested here. By time we got there she already slipped away.

I was a first time bunny mom, and all of her stuff is around the house and I just feel horrible. I have cried all day and I just feel like I am a terrible person. My mom keeps telling me that it was just her time since it happened a lot faster than anything I read up on.

I recently had an elderly person pass away that loved my rabbit so I look at it as he needed a friend in heaven.

Please I am just really having a hard time dealing with this since it was sudden and I just need some encouragement that I did all I could.

Sorry if this seems morbid, I just need some sort of comfort because all of her stuff is around me.

Hi!
I'm so sorry! I'm still new to bunnies with my first pair of bunny sisters. I've felt your pain with other pets & know how bad it hurts & you wonder if you did everything or could have done something else sooner, etc. All I can say is you tried your best to take care of your bunny with the knowledge you had available. That is all anyone could ask. I'm sure your bunny knew you loved him/her & was trying to do everything you could. If you have another pet even though it is not a bunny, it helps to love them & spend time with them. I had two birds at the time & lost one, my first one! We were very close & spent so much time together. I had a hard time getting through her death & felt like you at that time. It was my other bird needing my care, love & attention that eventually helped me to get through the loss of my first bird. I still miss her but the pain is not as bad. She will always have a special place in my heart. It will be hard especially with her things still there but at the right time I encourage you to consider another rabbit. While another rabbit will not be the same as the one you lost, it can help fill the hole left in your heart. Consider it. You will know when you are ready & it can help ease the pain with another bunny needing your love & care. I hope the pain of your bunny's loss will ease soon.

I had a rabbit die from stasis too, last year. It's not easy to lose a bunny that we love and feel responsible for. I was upset for quite a while. GI stasis can be difficult because there are so many things that can cause it to happen. It sounds like she may have had an underlying illness that caused the stasis. You tried your best to help her, and tried to get her the help that she needed. You can only try your best. Rabbits are such fragile animals that sometimes these things happen, despite our best efforts. I'm really sorry you lost your little girl. I'm sure that she knew she was loved.

Thank you for your support. I just have a Syrian hamster. When I got home from burying her I picked him up laid on the bed and cried a bit. For a hamster that usually wants to climb every where and run around he just sat on my chest. He put his little paw on my cheek almost to wipe away a tear. He was on the table beside the bunny so they were kinda friends.

I lost my first bunny in December. I had her for 3 years, she was the best rabbit ever. She had a heart attack coming out of her anesthesia from her spay. It was really sudden and really terrible.
I cried for like 4 days straight. I still can barely look at pictures of her without crying. I can barely read anything about rabbits that have passed away without thinking about her. Its really hard when you use them, but you have to think that they're waiting for us wherever. And like you said, maybe she is with her elderly friend, maybe he needed someone to hold his hand and she was there for him.

Eventually it will get easier to deal with and you'll be okay. Its just really hard when its sudden like that, but sometimes they're not meant to be with us.
I'm sorry that she's gone, but it gets easier.

Tauntz said something about getting another bunny. I would agree, if you feel like you could handle it. BUT its really hard to have another rabbit when you lost one. I got my current rabbit like 2 days before I lost my first bun and it was SO hard to deal with. Ellie was like 6 weeks old and tiny and new and different. Then she grew and became evil and chewed everything and did things so much different than Foo. It made me realize what a great rabbit Foo was and how much work Ellie needed to become a better rabbit. It was hard to compare them all the time. Foo was white and Ellie is mostly black, Foo was a lop and Ellie is a dutch. It was like they're polar opposites and it was startling for the first few weeks and took some time to get used to.
So if you think that you could live without making a lot of comparisons, then maybe another rabbit is for you. You could go to a shelter and fine somebun who really needs you and needs a home.

I hope you pull through okay. Its just part of life, loss. Its the crappiest part of life.
:rainbow: :hearts:hug1

I'm so sorry for your loss. Stasis is such a difficult thing, as JBun said, there can be so many different causes, and often they can deteriorate so quickly that you simply can't respond fast enough. It sounds like you did everything you could, I know it's hard not to blame yourself, I've lost a bun under similar circumstances and I couldn't help but feel that if I'd just paid a tiny bit more attention or acted a bit quicker he would still be here. I'm sure your bun was well loved though.

Best wishes to you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Its really hard to loose pets. One time there was a stray dog that would come to our yard, he was friendly with us but he would hunt a lot of animals, one day my brothers heard him holding something in his mouth that was squeaking. They thought it was a bird and ran after him. As it turns out it was a baby bunny. We eventually found its nest and put the bunny back in. But than the dog got another bunny from the nest and he had injured that bunny. There were 3 baby bunnies in all. Anyway the injured one died. :( I was so sad! I had only seen him/her for a day but I still cried over him/her. I've never actually had any pet of mine die before as Ash is my only pet I have and I've only had him for a year now. I dread the day of loosing him but I know its going to happen one day. Its really hard to loose pets and I'm so sorry about your bunny. You did the best you could for her. A lot of times people who have had animals who died early blame themselves because they think, what if I had done that? Would he/she have lived? Thoughts like that haunt peoples minds for a while after a beloved pet dies. What I can say is you did the best you could for her. Don't be hard on yourself.

Yes, you did everything you could. Know that. It's just a terrible thing to have happen, but nothing you did is to blame for it. You didn't neglect your rabbit, you obviously loved her enormously.

They are sensitive animals. I've had fish die and it makes you feel terrible that there's nothing you can do or even know what caused it, but when you've done what you can, there's nothing to be gained by looking for some fault.

I don't know whether this will be a comfort for you. I hope so, but I'm not good at this stuff. It is a horrible shock for you that she went so suddenly and unexpectedly, but from her perspective she didn't have a long illness and suffering. My dog had an acute episode and had to be euthanized. It was a huge shock, but it makes me feel better that he didn't have to endure any long-term health issues that caused him suffering over time. It is worse for us left behind, but not too bad for the pet suddenly taken.

RIP little bunny. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back