Very confusing behaviour and strange noises.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
Pippin was a very shy, very scared rabbit when I first got him. I have worked with him over the year I have had him, and he has got better and better. But about 3 months ago the progression came to a stand still.

He now licks me whenever he sees me, snuggles up to me etc., which he never ever used to do, but whenever I go to pick him up he makes a very strange noise and then thumps. He sort of......hums for a few seconds, thumps and then darts away.

I don't understand his behaviour....he licks me and cuddles me, so he clearly feels safe with me and loves me, but whenever I go to pick him up or go to take his bowl or whatever, he will hum, thump and run.

Does this mean I am moving too fast? I know it must be scary for a huge thing to come looming over you, but he knows me, loves me and licks me for hours on end, so he knows that whenever I am there he will only get love, food and strokes.

Any suggestions as to what can help or why he is so scared?

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice. The rabbits that we have had over the years were simply allowed to "train me" when it came to their likes and dislikesof being cuddled and handled. Especially if they came to us a year or older.

I'm sure others here will respond and give you some suggestions. Pippin sounds like a wonderful bunny none the less. I miss those licks and snuggles. ;)

I don't know tons about buns, as I've only had Slaty for 2 years now, and Stuart for 2 months...

However, I do know that they like it when I'm on my hands and knees. Stuart is still scared of me to some degree, hops away quickly, won't let me get in more than a few ear rubs... but when I crawl around on the floor, he binkys a lot. He also seems to like it when I'm on the couch (diminishes my size by half as I am sitting on the same level as him.

Slaty will hop over to me when I'm lying on the bed, lie down, and hold his nose against mine, and I'll huff gently into his nose.

All of my cleaning happens with me sitting cross-legged on the floor...

I find that if my action is too quick , or if I come into the bedroom too fast while a bunny is playing, they get upset.

You'll look like a nut, but maybe he'll like it better <?>

Autumn

I would suggest talking to him and letting him know that you're coming over to get his dish, etc. Every bun is different, but I've noticed a real difference here when i remember to tell Nibbles that I'm going to be doing something with her things/in her space.

Talking should provide him with a heads-up, and also be reassuring to him. Of course, if he's simply ticked off at you for messing with his stuff, he might still show it. ;)

Latest posts

Back