Very confused and frustrated, and in need of lots of advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
The bonding between Benji and Pippin has been going sooo well! I bring them both inside, sit on the sofa and let them run around the living room together. They love it! They sit by one another, Benji licks Pippin, they flop next to each other etc. etc.
This has been going on every day for a few weeks. Very occasionally while we are inside benji looks as though he is about to nudge Pippin aggresivly, so I say 'NO Benji!' and he stops, and then sometimes even licks Pippin.

As you know, a new run has been built, with a partition in the middle. I switch the sides they use, so neither gets particularly attached to a certain side and believe it to be 'their' territory. I decided the other day it was time to put them together in the run.
I opened the partition- and mayhem.
Not only did Benji chase Pippin round, he bit and tufts of Pippin's fur was flying around. We shouted in a really deep voice 'NO!!! Benji NO!' but that didn't stop him sometimes. It was only realy when my dad made a really loud, deep noise that he stopped and got low to the floor. The other tiems we have had to grab him and hold him down.
This has been going on a few days. He has licked Pippin once in the run. It seems that when they are facing one another Benji doesn't do this, it is only when Pippin's side or bottom is near Benji.
We tried spraying Benji with water and that didn't particularly work- it stopped him for maybe 5, 10 minutes while he tried to dry off and wash etc. but then he just did it again.

Why are they best of friends in the house, but not in the run? Both neutral territory as far as I can see.......

We have just been out and bought a 150 pound double storey hutch, and are planning to attach the old hutch (the one by dad built) to it, so they have the old hutch, the new hutch (attached by a tunnel thing we think) and a run.
I so so want them to get on.

Any suggestions- any at all, even involving other rabbits or money or anything at all- please please help! I'm getting so stressed and upset cos they've been in the run together for a month now, and they've been being brought inside for weeks and weeks and getting on for that time, and if they don't ever get on (it's Benji we have to work with- Pippin doesn't even fight back) one will have to have the new hutch and one the old one. I wanted Benji to have a friend because I never wanted him to be alone, but it seems to me he doesn't want a friend- he wants to be alone. I know he's had bad experience in the past with another rabbit but should it really be like this, with Pippin showing no signs of aggression but benji still attacking?

If they don't get on Pippin will have to live alone. I may have to get another rabbit so Pippin isn't alone. But what if all this happens again?? I'm pretty sure Pippin wouldnt- he is too timid.

HEEELLLPPPP

If they get on in one area, your living room for example, is it possible to set up a pen and leave them their for a week or so?

I bonded my three by leaving them together in neutral territory when their was no fighting, some mounting is okay and normal. After a week or so, I was able to take the buns into non-neutral territory with no problems. Once they decide that they love each other, and have created those deep bunny bonds, territory doesn't matter as much.

Maybe try them in the new hutch? If they get along fine, I would leave them in the new hutch for a couple weeks before attaching the older hutch.

I've used the neutral territory pen technique twice now, for my trio and a rescue situation, both ended up with beautifully bonded bunnies after a minimum of a week in the pen.

--Dawn

Thanks so much for your reply :)

That sounds like a good idea, but, the thing is, the neutral area where they get on so well- no fighting at all- is our sort of, smaller second living room, where, if there was a pen in there for them there would be no room for us to get in.

The thing is, they've been coming in every day for hours for weeks now and they have been getting along so well. I assumed they were quite along the way of bonding- I know it's only been a few hours every day but surely for weeks thats pretty much the hard part out the way, and now they would just rely on consistency to keep them bonded for a while.

I was out there for an hour sitting in the run with them today, squirtgun handy and reading my book lol, and I think Benji attacked Pippin about 5 times, and each time got squirted and told off. (I don't know whether getting told off makes any difference but I tried it anyway), and he licked him three times. What on earth is going on!!!

Why is he licking Pippin and attacking him? He's definately biting when he attacks- fur flies everywhere.

Also, Benji only attacks when Pippin is facing to the side or away from him, not head on.

:bigtears::bigtears: Pippin is so afraid of him he either leaps onto my lap and cowers under my hands or just runs away really quickly when Benji comes near.

Latest posts

Back