Vents

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
I took back a tort dutch doe, that is just under 3 years old, as she spent a year in another persons barn and before consulting me when selling, she switched hands several times and finally found her way back to me.

So I got her into an isolation cage- she's VERY thin- gave her excessive hay, and a normal ration of pellets(last person was feeding the same thing as I am but hasn't had her for long- she's a Holland Lop person, she knows I'm a dutch person), got her nails clipped and I did a physical check over and found the Vents. I've dealt with Vents before, and treated with Penicillian, I just can't remember the dosage amount, I remember the treatment schedule, just not the dosage.

I went through the Library and didn't find a dosage amount anywhere, all of them got shots from their vets for it. I just don't see the need to go to the vet when I know what it is and how to treat it to make her more comfy and healthy again. If only I could remember the dosage amount. I'm still trying to find it online somewhere

This is from another forum, I've never experienced VD, nor have I ever given a shot to a rabbit (my medical disclaimer, just in case!). :)

Vent disease responds readily to injectable penicillin. With the long acting stuff (DuraPen, etc) the dose I was given was .01 cc per pound, once a week for 3 weeks. For the short acting penicillin which requires daily dosage, same dose, once a day for 21 days. Injectable pen is readily obtainable at any farm store and is very inexpensive - just keep it in the fridge. Any penicillin can cause reactions in any animal or humans - sometimes fatal, but injectable is far less likely to cause gut reactions (diarrhea).

Karen, that'sa very interesting list, I think I skipped that one as I am not as great with the math(Kg to lbs?)and trying to figure it all out was a downfall. And it seems odd that the table on the page says SC, where as I was always told IM(I did use the vet when I did rescue but I had a good vet way back then and that was before moving to Kentucky- not many rabbit savvy vets at all). Hum. DIfference of opinion maybe?

Wendy, I've had lots of Vents when I did rabbit rescue, so I've had the experience giving the shots, plus I have picked up shots for my horses before when the vet couldn't get out to give them, they let me give them(Now those are some **** big needles!).I've also been working with bottle calves and bottle lambs so I always have PenG on hand just in case for them as well.Needles and giving shotsdon't bother me as much, now drawing blood is a whole 'nother ball game!! Thank you that's the dosage I was looking for, I can't seem to find it anywhere online. I went out and gave her a shot, she was well behaved for it-which was good, she still as well mannered as she was when I sold her.

I have it written down in a notebook-somewhere. I seem to have lost a few things when I moved from NY to KY 2 years ago. I'm still looking around for this or that and seriously miss my vet from up there. The vet I have now he is awesome with the horses(not quite as awesome as the one I had in NY) but I know more, along with some of you folk, than he does about rabbits. He's got the equipment to do teeth/molar etc checks when I do get a few rescue/rehome projects in but I avoid them as I am keeping my barn as a mainly show/brood Dutch and show/brood/commerical New Zealands. I just have a soft spot for several of my older rabbits that I sold-regretting selling any of them now. So many have come back that all I could do was PTS them.

Latest posts

Back