vent disease (syphilis in rabbits)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne958

Reaction score
Hi,if a rabbit has syphilis does anyone know how easy it isto detect and if a rabbit would need to be put to sleep. I have been advised by a pet shop that they put a rabbit to sleep as it had syphilis and it took four vet visits to detect it even though he had sore testicles on the first visit. I have read everywhere that it is easily treated so I wondered if anyone could avise me on this subject. Thank you!!

Leanne958 wrote:
Hi,if a rabbit has syphilis does anyone know how easy it isto detect and if a rabbit would need to be put to sleep. I have been advised by a pet shop that they put a rabbit to sleep as it had syphilis and it took four vet visits to detect it even though he had sore testicles on the first visit. I have read everywhere that it is easily treated so I wondered if anyone could avise me on this subject. Thank you!!
Ugh, syphilis is VERY treatable in rabbits, there is no need to put them to sleep. :(

The best treatment is INJECTIONS of penicillin (never oral).

Vent Disease (Rabbit Syphilis)

Its not a horribly serious ailment for rabbits regardless.

sas :goodluck:

I've had two female bunnies with it and it is treatable. I believe it was treated with penicillin but I will have to let the experts confirm. It was injectable, it must be given by injection and not orally if I am not mistaken. I was able to do the injections myself at home so it only cost me one vet visit. It healed without any problems. :)

If that is the case I am so mad!! I wrote a letter of complaint to the head office as I had to advise the staff that there was something wrong with one of their rabbits, I am no rabbit expert it was just plain obvious this rabbit was in pain and they took it to the vets after I was persistant, when I got angry with the manager as he did not care at all he put me on loud speaker so the customers could hear me rant!!, then the letter back from them said on the 4th visit to the vet they put him to sleep. i am not letting this whole episode rest. Does anyone know who I could write to to take this further? I am so angry i need to do something!!

Normally in the US, vent disease is usually the first thing that rabbit-savvy vets will treat for in the case of a swollen and/or scabby vent area (often with scabs on the face and paws). There is no testing done, they just give them the shot and if it doesn't clear up, then look elsewhere.

In the UK, however, there is the possibility Myxomatosis, which can have somewhat similar symptoms, so testing is advised.

I don't know about the UK, but on this side of the water there is a strong movement underway to stop rabbit sales in pet stores.

I'd suggest going to the heart of the matter and using this example of uneducated staff, inadequate vet care (for rabbits), etc. as a rallying point.

Hopefully others will have some specific contacts for this.

You may also want to try rabbitrehome/rabbits united at http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk. They're a great source with an awesome forum.

Poor bunny. :( Thanks for caring.

sas :tears2:

Oh this makes me so sad..

The bunny pictured in the thread is mine..

I wish I had seen it sooner..

Z

Unfortunately, an owner can have their rabbit put to sleep for any reason, or no reason at all (at least in the US). I don't think they did anything illegal, although it certainly was a shame that they decided to PTS. As mentioned, syphilis is treatable.

Latest posts

Back