Velvet kindled

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitmom12

Reaction score
Well, if you read wabbitdad's blog, you know our big blue Flemmie, Velvet, had a baby bunner earlier this week. She had had infertility problems before (actually probably due to her former breediing partner, who is now at the Bridge), so we weren't entirely sure she was preggo. She didn't look very big...couldn't get a feel of any little bunnies in there...then, she started building a monstorous nest!!

Holy cow, she could have had 18 babies in that nest! And she pulled out every last bit of her (very generous) dewlap fur. Have you ever seen a Flemmie with anaked, pink dewlap? Very odd!! And, boy, was she ever into guarding her nest. She's always been territorial about her cage - and has a Blue-i-tude as big as she is -but this was EXTREME!

When Dave finally lured her out of the cage, we quickly shut her outside of the room - she glared at us through the gate! - and he checked her nest. Sure enough!!! A kit! Just one...HUGE...kit! Flemmie babies are relatively big, of course, but this "little" guy was gi-normous - 3/4 of the length of my(large!) hand. He had Mama's tummy all to himself, and he really flourished in there. Thank goodness she was able to push him out. He was absolutely perfect, didn't look like a thing in the world was wrong with him, but...

...our poor little kit was cold, and not breathing. Having read on the forum, "Kits are dead until they are WARM and dead" (yikes!), I decided to try and warm up the little fellow. I popped him in my bra awhile, then tried the tepid - to- warm -water soak. No luck. After an hour or so, we declared him deceased. Darn it!

I sure hope we can get Velvet preggers again.

How old is Velvet? I only ask because you mentioned her 'former breeding partner'.

Smaller breeds should be started by 6 months and bigger breeds (like Flemmies) probably by 8-9 months. If it is too long before they are bred and deliver for the first time, it can cause major complications. It sounds to me like that's what happened here. A large, dead baby is usually due to kindling complications.

If she is still young and this is her first litter, she should have been rebred right away for the best chances of a healthy litter the next time around.

If she's older, I wouldn't breed her again. I'd suggest getting an experienced brood doe who has been kept in production or starting a young doe.

aw I am so sorry its awful when that happens :( Oakridge sid some good stuff there I would have a think about that maybe Cathy will have soem ideas too.

I'm sorry for the loss of the baby. I hope mommy's taking this okay, I had a holland get depressed when her baby was dead, i ended up leaving it in her nest for two days because she wouldn't let me touch it.
I had a judge today tell me to wait a week and rebred my one holland doe that I've been having trouble getting pregger, said she's got very good body and head, just need to reweight her ears down (She likes the flying 'nun' look as I heard it called) and if she doesn't keep that one, to keep rebreeding her after a week of rest for a couple of months or until she keeps the babies. So I would suggest try rebreeding her.
And one big kit? I feel sorry for her, that must have been hard on her too.

She's actually acting more like herself today. For the best odds, we probably should have bred her back a couple of days ago, but we are about 99% sure that our other Flemmie doe is preggers and due in just a few days. Space constraints are a concern right now, so we decided maybe 2 litters weren't the best idea. Still, having 2 mamas at once can be helpful if one of the does rejects her kits, or has too many to handle on her own....

It does help to have more than one doe kindle around the same time. I've had does that only had one as a first try successfully kindle 5-7 the next time. But I wouldn't wait to re-breed her... if you think you really want a litter out of her. The one kit probably "opened" her up... and will make kindling subsequent litters easier (and more viable). If you wait too long, she may not be able to have more.

Oh poor velvet, i remember reading about how she had made a nest and must have lost track of the thread i keep forgetting to do the watch topic button and then cant find where i was lol xx Cant wait to see and here about the babies due soon though...
Oh Blue giant your picture wow that bunny looks amazing.
Do you all have more pics of your bunnies?? How do i get to look at them, they all look so gorgeous.

Latest posts

Back