Veggie problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sallyl

Reaction score
I have a 5 yr old lop who seems unable to tolerate veg, he loves spring cabbage but even if I give him small amounts (half a leaf) he has a sticky smelly bum and does large wet poo's . I have tried him with broccoli as less water content but still the same. He has always been like this. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could give him as a substitute . I feed him on Burgess Pellets and hay also. As he is with 2 others I have to limit their veg as not fair on him etc, if there a dried veg option ?????

Have you tried him on herbs as he may tolerate them better. Mine love basil, dill, sage, rosemary, coriander and parsley.

Bunnies dont really need to be fed veg as long as their eating their pellets and hay but like chrisdoc said I believe herbs cause less problems. I have heard cabbage broccoli spring greens colliflower etc can sometimes cause gas in rabbits and cause them to stop eating which can then lead to gut stasis so I have stopped feeding mine veg just a finger nail size of carrot every now and again as a treat because its high in sugar.

Seems like there are definitely a few veggies you could try that might be easier on his system. Romaine lettuce springs to mind, and all the herbs mentioned above. Make sure you give him small amounts at first to check that he doesn't have a bad reaction.

And yeah, if they keep upsetting his poos, he'll be fine without him. You don't wanna mess with a bunny's digestion.

Cabbage and broccoli are two of least friendly bun-safe veggies. Like the others I recommend trying herbs, basil, parsley, cilantro, dill then other greens such as romaine lettuce, Silverbeet or celery tops. With anything, start small and slowly increase the amount if there's no bad reaction. Only introduce one at a time so it there is a bad reaction you know what's caused it. :)

Last edited:
I have to recommend cilantro!! I have an extremely picky bun but she'll eat cilantro like there's no tomorrow. Doesn't care for anything else, like romaine and such. I've heard broccoli can cause a lot of gas so I would stay away from those. I once fed some NZWs cabbage and they were lethargic for a whole day after, so they didn't get anymore cabbage.

Being in a Ukranian family there are many occasions to eat cabbage but oh boy does it getcha after! LOL

Can only imagine bunnies with often times sensitive tummies must suffer the toot salute from it heh heh...

Thanks everyone for your posts i will try some herbs out instead xxx

Avoid lettuce and Cruciferous vegetables http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables . The herbs are good and chard might be a good substitute to cabbage and lettuce. Root vegetables like carrot and radish in small amounts due to the sugar and potential for overdosing vit a in carrots are less likely to cause problems. Generally you want to avoid fruit but cranberries are pretty low in sugar and make a good bite size treat for small animals. A bag will last in the fridge for months.

Latest posts

Back