Vegetarian/Vegan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've beena vegetarian for 16 years, except not fully because I eat fish. When I was 12 I expressed a desire to be vegetarian and my mum said that if I promised to eat fish she'd help me to cut out 'meat with feet!' and I agreed and have eaten like that since. It's amazing how many more vegetarian things are available on the market now, I think my mum must have had a pretty hard time finding things for me all those years ago.

We get a lot of 'Quorn' products here in the UK, burgers, sausages etc nobody's mentioned them that I've seen, it's made from a type of fungus called mycoprotein do you get it in the US?

I don't ever force my ideas and opinions on others but if they ask I'm quite happy to have a discussion with them about it, although it does quite annoy me when people say 'I can't live without meat' because it's rubbish; the statement should be 'I don't want to live without meat'. Which is fine if that's what you choose.

I think that I'm actually more adventurous in my eating because I'm vegetarian, I've also noticed that my boyfriend and familiy will try a lot more things after they've made them for me or seen me eating them (ie my dad prefers vege lasagne to beef) so I guess that even though they all eat meat, just eating vegetarian for 2 or 3 meals each week has health benefits (For them and the animals!)

Robyn

There are a lot of obvious products that you know are already vegan/vegetarian like soy lunchmeat etc. It's when you buy other things like for instance a noodle mix and you think it's vegetarian, but you find that it has animal something in it. It just bugs the heck out of me how they try and hide animal products in food it's really disgusting.

I don't want to start anything believe me, but to me you can't call yourself a vegetarian if you are eating any kind of flesh be it fish, chicken whatever.

ratmom wrote:
I don't want to start anything believe me, but to me you can't call yourself a vegetarian if you are eating any kind of flesh be it fish, chicken whatever.
Apparently there is such a thing as a demi-vegetarian, they eat white meat, ie chicken and fish. I don't really have an issue with it, I eat what I want to eat and never preach to people about what they should or shouldn't eat so don't ever get frustrated with what people think, so that's OK, I agree that to be a proper vegi, you should be totally meat free.

I just find that it's easier to tell people that I'm vegetarian full stop otherwise they try and feed you all kinds of horrible things. Someone once did actually ask me it I could eat tinned hot dogs 'because everone knows they've got hardly any meat in anyway' I wouldn't go near a tinned hot dog with all it's offal and eyeball goodness it I was the world's biggest carnivore!

Actually those people that say there is such thing as a almost vegetarian or vegan are a bunch of idiots, there totally is not such a thing. They are making the real ones look bad.

No such thing as a "Demi-Vegetarian"

There is

-Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: A Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian is someone who eats dairy products (like milk and cheese) as well as eggs and all plant-based foods (this is veggies, grains, fruits, etc.).

-Vegetarian: Is someone who does not consume any meat/fish, But may eat eggs and dairy. You eat everything but fish and meat basically. So this is also known as Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian.

-Lacto Vegetarian: A Lacto Vegetarian is someone who eats dairy products and plant-based foods but not eggs.

-Ovo Vegetarian: An Ovo Vegetarian is someone who eats eggs and plant-based foods but no dairy products

-Vegan or *Pure* Vegetarian: This is someone who does not eat any dairy products or eggs and only eats plant-based foods. You exclude all food of animal origin

-Fruitarians: The fruitarian diet consists of RAW fruit and seeds ONLY! Some don't eat all seeds though.

-Fishetartian: And yeah some people call themselves Fishetarians, they don't eat meat but eat fish. A lot of real vegetarians and vegans (like me)think this is stupid and they are acting like ahypocrite, why one and not the other? At least if you eat fish but not meat call your selffishetarian though because then you won't give a bad name to vegetarians, or call your self what you are an omnivore you choose, But please you are not a vegetarian.

I do not have a problem with people that eat meat/fish dairy/eggs just because I don't, but I do have a minor problem with people calling themselves what they are not, maybe because they did not know or something. There is not almost vegetarian or the right way the fact is people who eat any kind of meat/fish are not vegetarian and people who eat any meat/fish dairy/eggs *ever* is not a vegan. I did not come up with that, that is just how it is.

If you eat meat of any kind white, dark, red, fish... whatever, you are *not* a vegetarian or a vegan you are a omnivore! Even if you only eat it on the weekends, I appreciate them trying but please do not call your self what you are not. That is what is putting a bad example onnon educated non veggie/vegan people because then they think vegetarians or vegans are hypocrites since the ones who call themselves that stilleat meat or fish occasionally. Vegetarians and vegans never eat meat/fish period, if you do you are not a veggie but keep trying maybe one day they can call themselves but not yet. :XI don't mean to sound like a raving lunatic but gee, come on people it is pretty obvious when one is or is not... trying to become one is a different story. If you don't eat meat/fish often but sometimes than say that, don't lie and say you are vegetarian/vegan Please?!?!

Sorry guys just had to snap and then repeat my self :?

Oh wow! Never heard of a fruitarians! I wouldn't think this would be the best diet though, because with the high natural sugar, and high fat of seeds I don't think you would get a balanced diet, or I could be wrong!

Iread that if you eat fish and shellfish you are a pescetarian.

Spring wrote:
Iread that if you eat fish and shellfish you are a pescetarian.

Yep, that's the proper term. Though frankly, with all the chemicals and such that's in fish I tend to avoid it :?

You are right fruitariansare not usuallythat healthy. A lot of them only eat things that don't harm the plant, and some only eat fruit that has already fallen of the plant it self, and don't always eat root foods since it kills the plant.

Yeah sorry forgot the other word for the fish crap... my mind is gone by now.

but there is also...

-Pesco/Pollo Vegetarianism: Some people chose to avoid certain types of meat, like red meat but still eat white meatand fish.

-Flexitarianism- Flexitarians are mostly veggie but *occasionally* eat meat. Or some eat meat that is "killed in more humane conditions"

-Freeganisim- They usually are concerned about the exploitation of animals, the earth and humans in the production of consumer goods.Some lean towards veganism,But eat anything they want. They make use of discarded commodities than to allow them go to consume landfill space. So usually don't care about the ingredients.

I think all these things are to wishy washy like they don't give a **** usuallyand are just using the '...tarian' or '...ganism' name to there advantage. They are omnivores and if you think about it omnivores are semi-vegetarian anyway because they eat vegetables, fruits, grains and so on like veggies but that does not make them veggie noteven semi. I mean heck we veggies/veganscouldbe called semi-omnivore since we eat alot of what omnivores eat vegetables, fruits, grains, wheat and alot of other good things, just not meat so we are semi? No that is what is wrong with all these names out there that don't mean a thing. I think it is all craziness... but I will try and calm down now, I amreally sorry if I soundmad or something I am not just a little more opinionated then usual :shock:

I can loose my patience with a things like "fruitarian" (I totally agree with vegetarians/vegans, but fruitarians?!). It just sounds so stupid to me.

Martina, I totally understand your frustration. It's like, you tell people you're a vegetarian, and they say, "Oh, really? I am too." and then they eat a chicken salad sandwhich :rollseyes:

Martina wrote:
Actually those people that say there is such thing as a almost vegetarian or vegan are a bunch of idiots, there totally is not such a thing. They are making the real ones look bad.

No such thing as a "Demi-Vegetarian"

Ok so maybe you don't agree with me but I think it's a little harsh calling me an idiot! I don't remember being offensive to anyone!

I did fing the following website and took this quote from it,

'Demi-vegetarians eat no or little meat but may eat fish. People who consume fish but no meat are often known as pescetarians.'

http://www.annecollins.com/diet-news/vegetarian-diets.htm

So there is such a thing as a demi vegetarian, but maybe in future I'll call my self a 'pescetarian' if I do I'm quite sure that popele will say 'what's one of those?' and I'll reply with 'a fish eating vegetarian' because that's what people understand and then every REAL vegetarian in the world will be offended again. Oh well you can't please all of the people all of the time!

You do have a point parsnipandtoffee. You both have different opinions, and that's great, Ijust don't want this kind of thing to turn into a big huge agrument. I don't want anyone feeling like they're being attacked, so can we keep this as civil as possible?

Thanks Spring!

I know some people are really passionate about vegetarianism (or lots of other things really) and so get annoyed if others don't agree or share their point of view. The way I saw it when I was 12 when I made the 'eat fish' deal with my mum was that if I ate vegetarian 6 days each week rather than 0 days each week then that was 6 less animals being harmed because of me.

Now I'm (considerably) older I suppose I'm just set into a routine, I don't ever fancy meat dishes (not including fish obviously) and so just carry on as I am.

I promise not to argue because I don't have an corner to fight, I do what I want to and let everyone else do their own thing. I do however believe that ifyou preach too much then it can turn others away from your cause because they feel under too much pressure to get it right or to change.

I was not calling *you* an idiot, I think people in general are anyway, nothing against you specifically.

I don't disagree with your choice of foods, just to be clear, I just don't like the nonsense words people use. I don't think it is a "fish eating vegetarian" to meit is a not all meat eating omnivore or person.

I think it's funny that people call themselves vegetarians and still eat fish. I tell people I'm vegetarian and they say "Do you eat chicken or fish?" WELL DUH! No I don't! hahah. That doesn't make any sense. lol

Has anyone ever had a walnut burger? I LOVE walnut burgers! In fact, I think I will have one for lunch today. :D

Spring wrote:
Walnut burger? I have a hard time imagining what they might look like :D.

They are soooooooooooo yummy! You must try one. Let me see if I can find a link.

Ohhh cool! Thanks! I'm allergic to nuts.. so I'll have to pass on that one! :D I'd love to try meat alternative products to see how they similar they are! I've heard the good ones taste very similar!

Latest posts

Back