Vegetables suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I tell you, people here would say I am a bad rabbit mom.
I give 4-5 raising to each of my rabbits. Really trying not to give more than that.

I could be wrong as I've never actually measured to check, but I consider 2.5-3 average sized raisins to be about a teaspoon... assuming your rabbits weigh 3-4 lbs or more, you shouldn't be exceeding the HRS guidelines for fruit ;) (since a 3 lb rabbit can have 1.5 tsp a day, a 4 lb rabbit can have 2 tsp, etc)

We give ours Parsley, Cilantro, Italian Parsley and Romaine lettuce in the morning with a very small slice of apple. In the evening we sub Dandelion for the lettuce and they get a very thin slice of Carrot. That's the routine that works for all here.

we said earlier, "don't give fruit and carrot on the same day" - I should clarify. what was meant was not to give a full serving of fruit AND a full serving of carrots on the same day. if you gave half a serving of each, like Larry describes doing here, that's totally ok.

What if i don't know my bunnies body weight? Should i just guess...? :upsidedown:

it's a good idea to invest in a cheap digital kitchen scale (you can get one from amazon for no more than $10-20). I got this one and love it, though unfortunately the price seems to have gone up a couple bucks since I purchased mine ><

weighing your bunny every week or two can be helpful, as it would clue you in to any unexpected weight loss that can indicate the need for a vet trip.

if you don't have or want to buy a kitchen scale to weigh your bunny, then do you have a people scale? you could get a general idea of their weight by stepping on the scale to weigh yourself then stepping on the scale while holding the bunny. subtract your weight from the combined weight to get the approximate weight of your bunny.

what happens if i give my bunny carrots and raisins...will that cause her to gain weight or something? :confused:

weight loss is a potential danger of feeding too much sugar... but the bigger concerns are that if you over-feed sugar in the long term, it can cause diabetes. also, some bunnies are more sensitive to sugars than others and too much could upset their digestive system (even if you only over-fed sugars once).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't like to be guessing a rabbit's weight, though if you are going to guess, always guess on the side of less so that you're not overdoing treats etc. Always good to underestimate in that regard I think.

weighing your bunny every week or two can be helpful, as it would clue you in to any unexpected weight loss that can indicate the need for a vet trip.

if you don't have or want to buy a kitchen scale to weigh your bunny, then do you have a people scale? you could get a general idea of their weight by stepping on the scale to weigh yourself then stepping on the scale while holding the bunny. subtract your weight from the combined weight to get the approximate weight of your bunny.

Bandit weighs himself :p I put the scales on the floor, put a pellet or two in the far corner and on he hops, nice and easy, lol.

Mine are digital scales designed to weigh people, I bought mine from Bunnings, which is like Home Depot for somewhere between $10-20.

I could be wrong as I've never actually measured to check, but I consider 2.5-3 average sized raisins to be about a teaspoon... assuming your rabbits weigh 3-4 lbs or more, you shouldn't be exceeding the HRS guidelines for fruit ;) (since a 3 lb rabbit can have 1.5 tsp a day, a 4 lb rabbit can have 2 tsp, etc)

we said earlier, "don't give fruit and carrot on the same day" - I should clarify. what was meant was not to give a full serving of fruit AND a full serving of carrots on the same day. if you gave half a serving of each, like Larry describes doing here, that's totally ok.

it's a good idea to invest in a cheap digital kitchen scale (you can get one from amazon for no more than $10-20). I got this one and love it, though unfortunately the price seems to have gone up a couple bucks since I purchased mine ><

weight loss is a potential danger of feeding too much sugar... but the bigger concerns are that if you over-feed sugar in the long term, it can cause diabetes. also, some bunnies are more sensitive to sugars than others and too much could upset their digestive system (even if you only over-fed sugars once).
WHAT? Bunnies can get diabetes??! :headsmack :imstupid

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back