Vaseline?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
I have read somewhere you can put a dab ofvaseline on the tip of a rabbit's nose, they will try to clean it off,digest it, and it should help them pass fur. True?

If you want to use a petroleum laxative, justuse Petromalt. It's actually made for animals.Although I know I've seen in multiple places that the petroleum coatsthe hairball, making it harder for water to penetrate and loosen thefur. So it can actually make the hairball harder to pass.

bunnydude wrote:
Do you live near an Agway? That's where I got mine.
Is that a petstore? Or a feed store? I DO live near a few feed stores...

Petroleum "fur ball" meds aregenerally not recommended for rabbits due to the belief that it furtherbinds to the blockage and is ineffective.

A little vaseline on the nose does make for a cute photo as the rabbit attempts to remove it :)

Pam

A small amount of vaseline ingested won't hurtthe rabbit, but I wouldn't want any of my rabbits ingesting too much ofit. Definitely wouldn't look to it to help pass fur.

Sometimes I'll put it on Fauna's bottom, but very sparingly. I know she can't really clean herself.

If she was in a molt, personally, I'd not get vaseline anywhere nearher. It's sticky and thick. Not a good combination if run up against aball full of fur.

-Carolyn

Purina has developed a feedfor catsthat contains fat emulsifiers which were successful in breaking uphairballs in lab tests. Soy lecithin is one of the ingredients theyhave been experimenting with.

Pam

Latest posts

Back