Various problems-peeling paint, cannot be handled

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subtitles

Reaction score
You were all so helpful to me when I first got Lola, so I am here to bother you again!

I have had Lola for a couple of months now (one yearold, not spayed lionhead). The people who had her before never handled her, left her in her cage most the time and fed her awful food.

She has a lot of nuerotic habbits, which were getting better but seem to be getting worse again. I cannot leave her out of her cage unattended because she will urinate on my bed (though littertrained), and is peeling and eating paint off the walls. I do give her as much free time as I can though.

She has freechoice tomothy hay (which she never had before). She eats it sometimes, but not near as much as I would like.

She does have lots of toys, though for the most part is uninterested.

She also cannot be handled. Even though I have been slowly working with her letting me put my hand under her tummy etc. she gets extremly panicky when I pick her up.

Does anyone have any ideas for me and Lola?
Thanks for looking!

Is there anyway you can get a pen and set that up? It would give her more space but still keep her safe and out of trouble. Make sure there are toys and other stuff to do in the pen to keep her occupied.

What else is she getting as far as diet goes? If she has lots of pellets, then she might just be filling up on those and not wanting to eat hay, the same could go for veggies as well. Maybe try cutting back on those a bit and she how she does. Some rabbits don't like timothy, so maybe try other types of hay such as oat, brome, orchard grass or a meadow hay and see if those work. Avoid alfalfa as it does have lots of calcium which can cause issues for adult rabbits.

What exactly is she doing when you pick her up? Many rabbits will kick and struggle if they are not used to being held. You need to hold her firmly so that she feels safe and can't hurt herself. Also don't put her down if she struggles, this will only teach her that if she does struggle that you will let her down. One technique I use with one of my rabbits will will kick is to hold them facing out with the back against you. This way they can't kick you and does make it harder for them to nip as well. You do need to keep working on it and make it more positive. Only hold her for a minute to start and only put her down when she is calm. Do this as often as you can and she should get better. Letting her get away with it won't help you at all and will just make it worse.

I would advise you to get her spayed.. She's coming of age and her hormones are probably acting up. My rabbits became little terrors when it happened to them, peeing everywhere, destroying everything. After getting them spayed they were a lot better and easier to handle.

It's been a long time since I had to worry about spaying my rabbits, I can't exactly remember what the magic month number was. But it was somewhere around 5 months+... I'm sure other members on this forum will agree with me that an unspayed/neutered rabbit are very naughty rabbits >.<!

Oh and I forgot to mention, a spayed rabbit is a lot healthier as well and you also prolong their life by several years. =) The longer you wait, the more dangerous the simple procedure gets. Bunny's don't handle surgery too well, and older rabbits sometimes have more complications when it comes to recovery/anaesthetics etc.. so get her spayed ASAP!!

Thank you for all the great advice!

She gets 1/3 cup pellets twice a day, and veggies twice a day (about the equivalent of 3-6 large romaine lettuce leaves at each feeding). I will pick up some different hay for her this week as well.

I am currently in the process of setting up a pen for her, I have reorganized my bedroom so I can make it fairly large. What is a good (and economical!) way to make a pen? Preferably one that is easy to take down and move?

Handeling-Shows I'm a first time bunny owner! I assumed it would be bad to let them fight and it could injure them. When I go to pick her up she kicks and squirms like I'm going to eat her! So I thought it best to take and slow and build up to picking her up.

Spaying-I'm planning on getting her spayed in September, just wanted a little extra cushion in the bank first. I figured that would help somewhat with the behaviour, but never occured to me it's why she is destroying everything!

Ok, so mix the hay. My vet told me tha and it works! Try several different types. ( like orchard grass hay, and timothy-you might try 3 even, idk ) This keeps their interest.

Yes, hold her firmly, and let her know she can trust you. DOn't make holding sessions long or anything. Talk quietly and calmly, reassure her. YOu might try giving a treat so its possitive association. Be consistant with when and how often. Like the same time of day once a day for instance.

Beds seem to be a favourite spot for even the most litter trained of rabbits. You could try popping a tray on it whilst she is out, or putting a sheet of plastic over. Neutering may help, but some bunnies just have a thing about beds and sofas.

I think the best way to solve the paint issue is by keeping her busy with other things. Does she like pellets? Those are most rabbits favourites :) What do you do with them? Rather than a bowl, try and be creative... scatter them around the room so she has to go looking, pop them in a treat ball, wrap them up in sheets of paper, put them in boxes, hide some in the hay etc. You could use a peg and some string to hang up the lettuce so she has to stretch to eat it. That will all slow down her eating so she has to work harder for it and has less time for eating walls. You could also try hanging some bunny safe wood in the areas she chibbles eg hang it from a door handle if she eats the door.

With handling, if you've got her to be happy with your hand on her tummy that is great progress! The next stage is to lift her chest slightly so her front feet just lift off the floor but her back feet stay on the group. That will get her used to lifting without feeling as nervous as she's still got her balance.

Latest posts

Back