Vaccines

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey ❤️

Reaction score
So....what are the must-have vaccines for bunnies? I keep hearing both sides, either “none needed” or “you must have RHDV2”

We have only one bun right now. She is about 12 weeks old. Occasionally, we take her on hops around our block, or at a park. Is RHD contractable anywhere, or just certain places?

RHDV2 from what I read is contagious to rabbit 7 months and older.

Here is a link. https://rabbit.org/vhd/

Places where the epidemic is happening they are vaccinating the rabbits. Other areas where there are no cases they are not. Even though getting the vaccination doesn't guaranteed that the bunny will not get the virus.

I don't let my bunny mingle with other bunnies. I guess maybe I'm a germ phobic , so I don't't take my bunny to bunny social events such as, Bunny Fest. There are other things like snuffles etc...that my bunny can catch from rabbits.

I avoid shopping from online stores such as, etsy. When I see that the retailer has their pets in their home and they are making pet treats, storing and packing them in their home, that is a red flag for me.

If you're worried about RHDV2 check out the link that I posted.

RHDV2 from what I read is contagious to rabbit 7 months and older.

Here is a link. https://rabbit.org/vhd/

Places where the epidemic is happening they are vaccinating the rabbits. Other areas where there are no cases they are not. Even though getting the vaccination doesn't guaranteed that the bunny will not get the virus.

I don't let my bunny mingle with other bunnies. I guess maybe I'm a germ phobic , so I don't't take my bunny to bunny social events such as, Bunny Fest. There are other things like snuffles etc...that my bunny can catch from rabbits.

I avoid shopping from online stores such as, etsy. When I see that the retailer has their pets in their home and they are making pet treats, storing and packing them in their home, that is a red flag for me.

If you're worried about RHDV2 check out the link that I posted.

Thank you for your reply and that article ~ very insightful!

How bout other vaccines? Are there any that are required annual?

Vaccines vary depending on where you live. That's probably why you are seeing seemingly conflicting advice. UK, Australia, and US (mainland anyway) have all different recommendations/requirements. Generally, though, there are no vaccines required in the US. I have no idea how/if that may be different in Hawaii.

There are no vaccines required or regularly available for rabbits in the US. There is only one isolated confirmed case of RHD2 and one case of RHD1 on the mainland US recently. They were isolated and there are no other cases. No vaccine for RHD is needed or required in the US at this time. You definitely don't have to worry about it in Hawaii.

So you're good. No vaccines to worry about.

There are no vaccines required or regularly available for rabbits in the US. There is only one isolated confirmed case of RHD2 and one case of RHD1 on the mainland US recently. They were isolated and there are no other cases. No vaccine for RHD is needed or required in the US at this time. You definitely don't have to worry about it in Hawaii.

So you're good. No vaccines to worry about.

Thank you so much!!

Latest posts

Back