Vaccinations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering, does anyone know what are the most common andimportant vaccinations you shouldgive your rabbit and at whatage to give it? I don't think there are any vets in this forum....butif any experienced rabbit owner does know what the vaccinations are fora rabbit please let me kno, thanx.

:)Cassandra:)P.S.- If you know the cost of the vaccination in canadian dollars,please let me kno in your post thanx.

Hi angoralover,

A common vaccination necessary for rabbits to get in England is for Myxomatosis. Australia requires vaccinations as well.

They're not recommended her in America because it hasn't been a problem here. *knock on wood*

-Carolyn

I'm 99% certain they don't, Cassandra.
MyBunnyBoys will see this and tell you for sure though.

-Carolyn

:shock:There Carolyn goes just assumingI know everything! lmao, I really am not totally sure. My rabbits havenot had vaccines and the vet never mentioned it when they went last. Ifthe USA doesn't need them, I doubt Canada does either.

I can't remember the last time you didn't know something, MyBunnyBoys, or got something wrong.

Since your vet never said anything, that leads me to believe thatCanada doesn't require them. They would've told you. You have a goodvet.

I really think that it's only those two countries I mentioned that require vaccinations, angoralover.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
I can't remember the last time you didn't know something, MyBunnyBoys, or got something wrong.

Since your vet never said anything, that leads me to believe thatCanada doesn't require them. They would've told you. You have a goodvet.

I really think that it's only those two countries I mentioned that require vaccinations, angoralover.

-Carolyn
lol, Carolyn! I'm quite often wrong and don't know many things!

I figured that if we share the same boarders, why would the vaccine requirements be different?

We don't need them here because all the diseases that have vaccine forthem have not reached our country or have been wiped out. I do knowthat rabbits coming into Canada need certain vaccines though.

In the UK it's recommended that we vaccinateagainst myxomatasis and Viral Haemorraging Disease (VHD). VHD came fromChina originally I believe and since then has been spreading slowlythrough the world, it got to the UK in the mid 1990's. The last I readit had been found in Mexico but not the US as yet. VHD is reallyunpleasant and deadlywith no known cure, it's spread via thewild rabbit population and on clothes and shoes. I live in an areawhere the vet tells me there haven't been any cases, so I haven'tvaccinated as yet, but I ask every time I take one of my cats down(which isoften :() and if there was any sign of itI'd have them all down there very fast!! Don't want to worry anyone butit's something to bear in mind.

Like Rowan said, we are recommended to have UKrabbits vaccinated, and both Perry and Pernod are, but I thought I'dcheck about Canada, especially as we may be emigrating there, and I amreally confused. To bring our rabbits into Canada, they have to bevaccinated against VHD, and free from Myxamotosis, but not allowed tobe vaccinated against it. Now I'm concerned cos they are vaccinatedagainst it, and it may mean they won't be allowed in. Perhaps I'mwrong, I'll have to do some more research. If anyone has any info, I'dappreciate it. Perhaps if Cher is around, she will know

Jan

angoralover wrote:
MyBunnyBoys,

Ok thanx for the info:)Carolyn assumes everyone knowseverything;)jk Even tho she is the smartone;):p:DCassandra:D

We're all smart. :) I'm no exception to the rule.

As to your question about timing of shots,the vet'srecommed that you have the vaccinations yearly and the VHD &Myxomatosis must be two weeks apart. I once read that "Asingle vaccination should be given to rabbits over six weeks of age,rabbits should not be vaccinated during pregnancy"

LuvaBun,

I don't know the answer to your question about the shots.Wouldn't imagine a rabbit that's already been vaccinated would stopthem from entering, but you might wish to contact the website in Canadaregarding importing to find out for sure.

This was a notes and postsfrom Cher a while back when we were chatting about her coming home to Canada.

"I have done my homework and looked into bringing them home, and havestarted the process as we speak-it takes a month MINIMUM for the paperwork -first I have to apply for an entry permit, next yadda yaddayyadda..ohhhhhh the process BUT worth every moment if I do say so!"

"I recieved confirmation from the CFIA that I dont have to be on thesame flight as Jez and Jade (it is specified on their website thatCanadians MUST personally accompany the animals from the country oforigin) HUGE relief..and I got in contact with a shipperrecommended to me from IPA...oh oh oh cant remember the whole name ofit......grrrr, anyhoot-of a shipper HERE in Taipei. Direct phonecontact with them..which is fantabulous, and she is going to send medetails via email on sending my beauties home."

"Oh and to share some good news with you, my home in Canada wasinspected for the girls to go home to and I was approved!!! woootshould be getting my import permit in the mail soon!"

You might check be interested in checking out this website:
http://www.rarebitsandpieces.comAs you'll see by his history, he's traveled the world with rabbits.Pamnock had recommended it at one point.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, thanks so much for posting the details.Like you, I think it sounds like since they,ve been vaccinated thenthey may not be allowed. They are due their boosters next month, andreally need them as we have wild rabbits here that do look like theyhave myxamotosis, and it's such an awful thing. I'm feeling abit down now, as I really don't think I could not take them. I thinkit's discussion time with hubby! Thanks again.

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Carolyn, thanks so much for posting the details. Like you, Ithink it sounds like since they,ve been vaccinated then they may not beallowed. They are due their boosters next month, and really need themas we have wild rabbits here that do look like they have myxamotosis,and it's such an awful thing. I'm feeling? a bit down now, as I reallydon't think I could not take them. I think it's discussion time withhubby! Thanks again.

Jan

I send you my prayers and support.

Much Love,
-Carolyn

I've just immigrated from the US to Canada, anddidn't need to get my rabbits vaccinated, just so ya know. Well, Ididn't have Abby then, in fact, she hadn't even been bornyet!But Chompers was ok, I did bring him to the vet for some requiredpaperwork, but that was about it. Also had two cats that I did need toupdate. Long story short, you don't need to worry about that in thiscountry unless you plan on moving to England.

I am very sorry, I just havent been around as oflate. So today I just read this post-it sounds a little complex withyour bun's vaccinations,when you have suspected wild rabbits withmyxomitosissince they can NOT be vaccinated prior to cominginto Canada, but there is a time frame you can look into (I do believeit is 90 days)

BUT

To try and lessen your degree of worrying, here is the Canadian websitefor all your bunny answers (into bringing them to Canada)

http://www.inspection.gc.ca

They are a little slow in answering if you email them questions, somight I suggest to ease your mind, a quick call to them? OH OH OHbetter idea, ask me exactly what you want asked, and I will email them(since I have a one-on-one "relationship" so to speak with the womanwho is helping me with my girl's immigration 'home')

Cher

I should clear it up for me, moving from the USto Canada, or vice versa, you don't need vaccinations. Other countriesI haven't looked into and may have different rules.

Latest posts

Back