UVIC rabbit rescue operation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries, and fine by me!! 3 AM still working on stuff, no where near ready for this thing tomorrow. Whoops today.

I might try and get to Coombs to help build the rabbit sanctuary over there on sunday. Need to catch a 6:30 AM ferry an hour away... :yawn::sleep:

Can't make today it (because it's Sidney's second cold laser therapy session), and tomorrow I have work all day. Boo!

It turns out that the $50 I paid yesterday for Sidney's laser therapy was for all six sessions for the next three weeks. So I wonder if I got mixed up and cold laser therapy is really $150 at regular price for all the sessions.

If it's only $150, I think Neil should definately go for it! It'll really help him out after amputation and reduce the pain + speed up recovery. Sidney is already standing on both his legs, and he even spent an hour hoping and jumping over objects. Three weeks ago, the poor boy couldn't even turn around because of how bad his leg was.

Hey everyone!

Can we aim for another bake sale / fundraiser? If we pick a date, I can book the day off!

We should defintaly do another bake sale.. and this time we can do things like nail trim by donation or sell flakes of hay for $5?

Nooooo... I get stuck with the clean up every time!

All the stuff is piled in the lobby right now (and it wouldn't have gotten that far without my neighbour and poor Aaryn), I'm having to spend all day today on this. And my other neighbours are p*ssed.

Yard sales take a lot of people to set up, man/supervise, take down and put away. Everybody keeps bailing on me.

(With my usual sales, I spend half the money to provide refreshments/bribes for friends and neighbours. With the fundraisers, volunteers are supposed to do that!)

I'm sorry I had to leave so fast. My mom was having a field day on the other end of the phone, screaming at me to get home. >.<
I would have liked to stay and help you out I know it's a huge hassle with yard sales. :(

As for fundraising, I made fliers to stick in mail slots in my neighborhood for a bottle drive! I made about 80 fliers and figure it could at least get some more cash flow. Maybe another $80-$100. This might be something small, but something we could possibly all do.

For the bake sales, I contacted my school in hopes of having one there in the main rotunda. Now just to hear back from them.. It will most likely not be until the beginning of the fall semester, so we should have other ideas on how to raise money.

A car wash doesn't require much set up. Just soap, rags, and contacting a gas station in which we could hold it. For that we would need a lot more volunteers.

At the yard/bake sale, I was thinking of a bowling or pub night. For that is really easy, you don't need many volunteers, and it's a lot of fun!

For bowling it would be $25/person and that would get them shoe rentals, 2 - 3 games of bowling (one of which can be fun bowling. ie. bowling with oven mitts on), and a beverage. We would have to contact a bowling ally who would be able to donate some of their time for this (Like a cheep rate) and then set up fliers (online and on community boards). And then Sorelle has those awesome bowling trophies!

The pub night might actually be the most reasonable. Pubs are very generous with fundraisers. I have seen many fundraisers at the pub by my house. They all pay between $20-$25/person and they get an alcoholic beverage and food. Most likely a burger from their burger menu. (They have a veggie burger!) Then there's a 50/50 draw you're entered in for coming for a prize. Not money really, but more like an item. Like say, 10 free movie passes. (My mom gets those for dirt cheep at her work.)
I guess brainstorming about other prizes would be a good idea. Anyone with contacts to a company in which they can donate some goods or services would be ideal.

Tina :headflick:

The yard sales are actually great because it allows interaction with the rabbits, promotes adoptions, information sessions, petitions, etc.. Probably our most valuable tool. But they need bodies. Its actually not so bad with advance notice and lots of reliable volunteers.

Bottle drive? If you can get the bottles into a depot, I've got a very large bag of them in the basement that I was about to give away seeing as I haven't heard back from SARS about coming to get them. I have no problem collecting them, I just can't keep storing them. I need to put the yard sale and my mom's stuff down there.

Problem with bake sales, pub nights, etc, in official places may be the lack of a non-profit license.

I LOVE the idea of 'Bowling for Bunnies' (probably because it's such a cool catch phrase and I already have the trophies). Not sure if we can get an alley deal without non-profit status, but worth a shot. I don't bowl, so I'm not well versed with this.

Car wash? I was always looking for one when I had my convertible, never could find one. Weather dependent, hard work, but I'll give it a whirl.

Pub night is fine, but will need lots of notice.

And now for the..... RABBIT REPORT!!

- Ellie Einstein has breezed through her surgery, she started eating pretty quick, now she's back to normal, I've removed the barrier on the spiffy new pen, she's back with Neil and Mack.

- I might change Mack's name, even though it suits him (being a bit of a hoodlum), it's too close to Mike. Neil (Sinclair) already knows his.

- I think Mack's boy bits are about to drop, he's been nosing around Ellie (who's been making those 'I have a headache' / 'leave me alone you brute' chicken noises). I'm keeping them together, but he's going to have to get into Little Paws ASAP with Neil I think.

ETA!!! Oooh!! I forgot the best part!! I'm getting tons of TOOTH PURRS from Mack! (He's a hoodlum but a sweet hoodlum!)

s

Oh I really like the bowling idea!

I tried to make a cause on FB, but we need a beneficiary, meaning we need to create a non-profit organization =[

If you're going to do something at Kwantlen, I'll help you out! Since we go to the same school haha. And last Fall Semester

After three weeks of Sidney, his vet bill has just passed $400 in medical costs.

But he's recovering amazingly! And Dr. Upjohn has been so generous with his bill. 400 would've been doubled if Dr. Upjohn wasn't such a nice guy =]

I'm wondering how much Evie will be... No one can tell if she's pregnant, fat, or has a mass in her stomach. She's been here for two weeks.. so if she doesn't give birth in another two weeks, we'll have to go in for an ultrasound for the babies's safety or an xray if she's definately not pregnant. Ultrasounds are really expensive =[

Either way she can't be spayed. She's seven pounds!! And she's supposed to be five.

Eek. If something's wrong with the babies. Surgery. Or a mass.. surgery. She's been put as five years old. If I put her on a diet, I hope by the time she slims down she'll still be ok for a spay =[

Really need bodies at the courthouse tomorrow. :( They're arguing that the person who launched the injunction has no standing and is just a lone activist who protests everything. Its crucial to disprove that!

We're meeting at 9 AM in the lobby. 800 Smithe.

:pleaseplease:

Or we can go next Tuesday?

Evie and Sidney are bonded =] I'm not worried about mating -although they are the same breed, Evie weighs 7 pounds and is HUGE, and Sidney weighs 4. With his gimpy leg, he can't even get on! I do separate them when I leave.

I really need to get Neil and Mack in for surgery. I can't take even one more rabbit here at all until that happens.

We have homes for 25 rabbits now, I think, but they have to be set up and coordinated.

A group of 16 or so can go to an acreage not far from the University, but we have to help get them set up to take them first, so that should be the first stop. Then the spays and neuters (which I believe will be covered by the FB fund). There are people on the Island who can help. Waiting to hear from the person with the land.

s

Hey guys, I don't mean to sound obtuse but why is it important to show up at the court hearing on Friday other than having bleeding edge intel?

Are we even allowed in for the proceedings?

Next Tuesday sounds good.

However, in regards to the 25 rabbits, if it turns out that their mini sanctuary isn't ready, the people interested in taking them in may have to get the rabbits themselves or pay for my/our ferry expenses - I really don't think I can handle yet another trip to Victoria.

Latest posts

Back