using the food bowl as a litter bowl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymommy

Reaction score
I have a quick question, and then I have to hopoff line and go to get my best friend a wedding present. (wayto wait till the last minute) I'm the maid of honor and todayat lunch is the only time left for me to do this.

Baby was always pooped in her food bowl from time to time, but notbad. This last week i've noticed she's not only doing thatbut also urinating in it too. That can't be good forher. I keep it cleaned out every day, but yuk. Isthis a normal thing? What can i do to deter her from that?

Any suggestions welcomed.....now, off to the mall i go.

Megan used to pee in her water dish all the time, it was sick. She stopped now, but it was so icky!

Why not use a smaller feed bowl?

Or, you could feed her at certain times of day avoiding keeping the food bowl available.

-Carolyn

What about using afeeder(<-- click). You can clip them onto the cage wire and a bithigher up so it's not so easy to poop and pee in. My friend uses theseand likes them.

Note: You don't have to put 5 days of feed, just fillit with the normal amountdaily!

Laura, Moch, & Spice

Thanks for the suggestions!

Carolyn, I'll have to try not keeping her bowl in the cagefirst. I feel bad sometimes and I want to make sure shealways has access to her food so she won't be hungry.

Hi babymommy,

Your little one will be fine once she gets used to the newplan. That's why I always leave the timothy hay for Tucker aswell. You want to avoid overfeeding Baby too because an obeserabbit isn't a healthy rabbit.

You'll find various information as to how much to feed your rabbit. I've listed below some references to this.

[align=left]I'm hoping that if you're going to feed baby once a daythat these portions might help you figure out how much at a time sheshould be getting. Baby will adjust, just keep her stockedwith timothy hay.
[/align]

[align=left]-Carolyn
[/align]
Choose a fresh, good quality pellet. The House Rabbit Societyrecommends a minimum of 20-25% fiber, around 14% protein (with noanimal protein), and less than 1% Calcium for most house rabbits(spayed/neutered). For adults, the amount should be carefullyregulated, depending on the size (weight) of the rabbit. As a rule,give about 1/4 cup for rabbits 5-7 lb, 1/2 cup for 8-10 lb rabbits, and3/4 cup for 11-15b lb rabbits. Baby rabbits can be fed pellets freechoice (available at all times), decreasing to 1/2 cup per 6 lb. ofbody weight by around 6 months.http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rabbits/a/rabbitsfeeding.htm

[align=left][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]If you aresupplementing a hay diet with pellets, avoid packaged pellets thatcontain dried bananas, nuts and seeds. These products are too high insugar and carbohydrates, and can cause obesity, diarrhea and otherserious digestive upsets. Limit your rabbit to plain, fresh-looking,dark green rabbit pellets, giving approximately 1/4 cup per 5 lbs. ofideal body weight per day. Buy pellets with a fiber content of no lessthan 18% and only in a quantity that you will use within one month.Store pellets in air-tight containers and keep away from moisture.Discard pellets that are old, moist, orbug-infested.http://www.rabbitsnmore.com/Rabbits_as_Companions;_Educate_Yourself_before_Bringing_Bunny_Home_Feeding_your_Rabbit2.cfm[/font][/align]

[align=left][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]* * * * * * * * * * * * [/align]

[align=left]High quality rabbit chows, pellets, and good quality hay(such as alfalfa, grass, or clover) make up the rabbit'sdiet. For rabbits less than 1 year old, pellets and hayshould be available free choice, which means the rabbit is free to eatas much of each as it wishes. For animals over 1 year of age,hay, which provides fiber, should be available free choice and make upmost of the diet. Pellets or chows can be offered atapproximately 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of bodyweight.Over-feeding pellets to adult rabbits is a common cause of disease.While rabbits can eat any type of hay, alfalfa hay is too rich to bethe only source of hay; other grass hays are preferred.http://www.pethealthcare.net/html/body_feeding_your_rabbit.html
* * * * * * * * * * * * *[/align]

[align=left]7 months - 1 year old: introduce timothyhay, grass hay, and oat hays, decrease alfalfa; decrease pellets to 1/2cup per 6 lbs. body weight [/align]
1-5 years old: Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay,straw; 1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weighthttp://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html#young
[/font]

Thanks Carolyn, that's allot of usefulinformation. Most of the time I'm either running out the doorin the morning when i feed her, or right before I go to bed, so that'show the bowls stays with her.

I'll have to maybe adjust her to a late afternoon dinner, and then whatshe doesn't finish by bed time, I can put up. And ofcourse Ilike to treat her with veggies in the mornings sometimes.

We'll have to start this project Monday. I'll be out of townmost this weekend at a wedding, so I'll have my mom come in and checkher and feed her!

Thanks again, and have a great holiday weekend!

Enjoy The wedding! I'll going to NewYork City this weekendwith one of my best friends of 35years.

Happy Holiday to you andall of ourAmerican friends!

-Carolyn

Blackie used his old feed dish to pee in daily. Imoved it up higher he still found a way to get there. Ifinallyswitched to a bin feeder and it has worked for us.

Mary

Latest posts

Back