Using eating hay as litter lately

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarita

Reaction score
Any suggestions to help my holland lop use her litter box only. She always used it normally and never went anywhere else but recently I noticed she'll use her hay that she eats to pee in. Her litter always has a layer on top and is always clean. Not sure why she started using her hay baskets also. All three are in the same room.

:foreheadsmack:

Thanks

I had the same issue with my baby bunny. I had a hay box AND a litter box and she would use both of them. I had to get ride of her hay box and just keep the litter box. She still pees in her hay though, I think that's a pretty normal rabbit trait.

With my other rabbit, when I first gave her the hay box she was a little confused too. She peed in it a few times and I wiped it out with vinegar and got her smell out. She never peed in the box again, only in the litter box. So if you can wipe her pee smell out.

I'd recommend using a hay rack and placing it above her litterbox. That way she can eat and use the box at the same time, but shouldn't be able to pee in the hay.

I'd recommend using a hay rack and placing it above her litterbox. That way she can eat and use the box at the same time, but shouldn't be able to pee in the hay.
I second this. That is what I do. Works great. Rabbit do seem to like to poo and pee while eating hay.

Back