used to be litter trained...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CantDutchThis

Reaction score
So the 'Stew' used to be very, very well litter trained,as in.. almost never had a turd outside of the box and ALWAYS pee'd in it.. ALWAYS.. we moved to a new enclosure, and into a new apartment.. an he has been peeing IN THE BACK OF HIS CAGE ON MY FLOOR!!!:devil Little devil. I hadn't noticed ( its dark under that side.. and went to clean it and almost died! I had to scrub the floor)...

What is the best thing for getting that 'pee smell' out of the floor so he stops peeing there? I just cleaned it and low and behold he just pee'ed there again! I soaked it up and put the napkin in his litter box as another reminder THAT is where he is supposed to pee... but is there anything else I can do?

He's done this before when I moved and the napkin trick seemed to work but seeing as he pee'd on the floor and he keeps going back there (and I had to SCRUB it) I feel like the smell is going to stay there no matter what.. and I can't really re locate his cage. One half of the bottom has a plastic mat/dish under it but the other half doesn't and thats where he's messing... I suppose I could move it to the other side? I just like keeping his litter box on it, and keeping it to the side closest to the door for easy access for cleaning..

Oh, and he's neutered. Was at 6mos and he is a year and three months.
Thanks guys! You've been super helpful !

It sounds like you'll need to add another litterbox to that spot.
I've had good luck using vinegar to get odors out, but something like nature's miracle might be necessary if it's been there for a long time.

I would put down a plastic sheet first, then a layer of cardboard that you'll need to replace often. Or use linoleum if it's not too slippery. Or if Stew's not a digger or plastic chewer, you could just use plastic; a tarp, something made for baby cribs, or whatever.

I agree with missycove it might be time to move the litter box. Rabbits often pick their own bathroom spots and I know mine have never picked anywhere convenient! :)

If it's carpet I would sprinkle baking soda, let it sit while keeping bunny away from the spot, then use vinegar to "fizz out the stink". That has worked really well for me in the past.

walmart sells this stuff called "NODOR" in the pet section that's amazing for making bunny pee stink go away.

I would put down a plastic sheet first, then a layer of cardboard that you'll need to replace often. Or use linoleum if it's not too slippery. Or if Stew's not a digger or plastic chewer, you could just use plastic; a tarp, something made for baby cribs, or whatever.

^ this sounds like a *great* idea to discourage continued offenses

Latest posts

Back