Use of Convenia for very bad ear abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsnipbun

Reaction score
My rabbit has a long term ear infection in the inner ear which has been treated with various abx (baytril, Metranidozol etc).
He has also had 2 weeks of depolcillim injected.
He has had a CT scan today and the abscess is very nasty and inoperable. He has lots of porous bony growth between the abscess and the brain.
He is no longer responding to the other drugs

The vet is suggesting Convenia as a possible 'holding' drug -

My question is has anyone else used it and in which ways was it most successful? (ie how often and what sort of dose?)

Obviously my vet is an exotics vet and has also talked to another referral exotics vet (we are in the UK) but I really want to do the best for my bun and so would like to find out as many views/examples as possible

Thank you

Randy our wild life rehabber mod has used Convenia at his rescue and we have had other members who have used this drug successfully on rabbits.

Randy has been VERY busy and seldom on-line;I would email him re. Convenia and/or his opinion on this butI cannot guarantee that he will respond.

email Randy

[email protected]

Let us know what he has to say

Iam also thinking of the drug chloramphenical only because it penetrates the blood brain barrier.
Good Luck with your bun and let us know

THANK YOU! Randy very kindly PM'd me with information as well. I have passed the info on to the vet.

We are also still researching at this end (UK) and are contacting the maufacturer to see if they have any more info.

The rabbit (Parsley) is waiting the outcome of our researches - in the meantime he is bouncing around as happy and lively as ever - seemingly unaware of a simply huge ear abscess/bony growth/possible brain problem.

Keep in touch with Randy or possibly your vet can talk with him .

I know for a fact that many forum members have used Convenia; the injection is given I believe once per week
Randy may have other suggestions of drug combos and certainly can assist with dosing

Listen to him ; his knowledge is cutting edge and very extensive.

It would be a good choice. Another option I wonder about is zithromax. You have touched on most of the other classes of antibiotics used in rabbits already. Convenia is a newer drug but it is in the same class of drugs as Baytril (enrofloxacin). Zithromax is in another class of drugs entirely.

I have not heard of using rifampicin in rabbits before but it seems to be safe. It's a less commonly used one so that is good.

Latest posts

Back