USDA says Rabbits are Poultry??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babysophiecat

Reaction score
The USDA decided it wanted to reclassify Rabbits under Poultry so they would not have to be covered under the Humane Slaughters Act of 1958. This needs to be changed as there are no rules-it varies from state to state-and I'm sorry, but my rabbit is not a chicken or duck! Please help me get signatures so I can forward them to the USDA-I'm aiming high at 10,000, but with enough bunny lovers & animal lovers, that goal might be obtained. Thank you = )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2qgfmed0rg[/ame] (if you want to watch the video-its not graphic-just explains whats happening)

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ra...-covered-under-the-1958-humane-slaughters-act

Yeah its disgusting that they get away with this crap. I understand that they are still considered livestock to some people but for heavens sake they should at least be held to higher standards as to how they can be killed. It makes me sick to think about.

I know-I have people on bunspace signing the petition and getting the word out on their myspace-I let people on flickr know about it-I'm going to post in the veggie group I had joined a bit ago on flickr-so if we can get people from all of these groups to sign the petition that would be an easy 5k right there = ) I really want this to happen!

Haley wrote:
Yeah its disgusting that they get away with this crap. I understand that they are still considered livestock to some people but for heavens sake they should at least be held to higher standards as to how they can be killed. It makes me sick to think about.
Agreed. All animals should have a higher standard to how they are killed, poultry too. It drives me insane that these factories and people are allowed to kill animals in the completely inhumane and in human ways they are allowed to.

I think its important that every rabbit owner sign to show that they support the law being changed-The USDA needs to realize that there are a lot of rabbit owners out there that find this unacceptable. And there are quite a few people from other Countries signing the petition-Even if you don't live in the USA, you have a right to voice your opinion on the matter-your "signature" might not technically count-but you do have a voice and an opinion and you do have the right to sign it. The last petition only made it to around 600 signatures-they were aiming at 5k total. I expect once we get the signatures-the USDA will have to take notice and action = )

271 signatures so far = ) (aiming for 10k) Thanks to all who have signed already = )

Thanks = ) I made another video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNDvH_gWfg[/ame]

Its absolutely absurd isn't it = P

I think I figured out what they're looking for.
They saw a bunny doing this:
bunnychick.jpg

And are sure the outcomes are supposed to look like this:
Bunny-Chicken--9225.jpg

or this:
rabbit.jpg

Though I'm sure they're not going to find anything like that.
I'm putting this information on my facebook...hopefully that will recruit others.

babysophiecat, I hope your petition awareness *will create* a change. I'll circulate it to friends in the rabbit ownership network.

The book STORIES RABBITS TELL and the chapters on people killing them was a real eyeopener! I can't envision eating or using my dog, cat or rabbit in a canned product or as a meal.
Or as something to fashionably wear. Uggh. Look forward to the day when rabbits who have plenty of emotions and feelings are removed from the poultry and livestock slaughter list --- and all ANIMALS are humanely slaughtered.

The sight of rabbit fur on a cat knick-knack turns my stomach.

Can't humans come up with a synthetic product to simulate fur ??

Kudos for making a difference in everybunys' lives. I imagine lots of meat-branded rabbits could become lovers and kissers ~ great companions ~ if given the chance.

==================================

"Yeah its disgusting that they get away with this crap. I understand that they are still considered livestock to some people but for heavens sake they should at least be held to higher standards as to how they can be killed. It makes me sick to think about." - Haley / Admin

I agree, Haley..................

TreasuredFriend wrote:
babysophiecat, I hope your petition awareness *will create* a change. I'll circulate it to friends in the rabbit ownership network.

The book STORIES RABBITS TELL and the chapters on people killing them was a real eyeopener! I can't envision eating or using my dog, cat or rabbit in a canned product or as a meal.
Or as something to fashionably wear. Uggh. Look forward to the day when rabbits who have plenty of emotions and feelings are removed from the poultry and livestock slaughter list --- and all ANIMALS are humanely slaughtered.

The sight of rabbit fur on a cat knick-knack turns my stomach.

Can't humans come up with a synthetic product to simulate fur ??

Kudos for making a difference in everybunys' lives. I imagine lots of meat-branded rabbits could become lovers and kissers ~ great companions ~ if given the chance.

==================================

"Yeah its disgusting that they get away with this crap. I understand that they are still considered livestock to some people but for heavens sake they should at least be held to higher standards as to how they can be killed. It makes me sick to think about." - Haley / Admin

I agree, Haley..................
Thank you for trying to get the word out to rabbit owners-I know this is a long shot-might not get a law passed-but someone needs to do something about it-and if not us rabbit owners & lovers then who? There is strength in numbers-I'm so glad that I found out about this forum, you all are so passionate about helping rabbits with rescue and adoption, its really impressive = ) I became a rabbit owner by chance 7-4-06 and I'm just bewildered at the fact that more isn't being done to create change-so, here we go. This is the first step of I'm sure many more to come. And, especially because Alabama is trying to get more farmers to raise rabbits-I saw someplace that they are disappointed that Easter has turned everyones minds against eating rabbits! That just disgusts me. People don't eat dogs or cats, so why is it ok to eat a rabbit??!?? Sorry if any of you disagree-but since owning Ellie, she has totally changed my life-she makes me laugh & smile all the time with her silly antics. I actually have more fun with her than I do with my 2 cats. She's absolutely amazing = )

superchar42 wrote:
I think I figured out what they're looking for.
They saw a bunny doing this:
bunnychick.jpg

And are sure the outcomes are supposed to look like this:
Bunny-Chicken--9225.jpg

or this:
rabbit.jpg

Though I'm sure they're not going to find anything like that.
I'm putting this information on my facebook...hopefully that will recruit others.
I LOVE it!!! You've just given me inspiration for my next video = ) I'd already seen the chicken/rabbit, but have NEVER seen what the outcome is = P absolutely perfect! = )

RexyRex wrote:
I've signed it and I'm off to post it on another forum.
Thank you so much-its already on bunspace & Flickr (BLU) I posted it in my journal on zootoo, but no reponse = (

Back