Urine Smell Change (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlilly0212

Reaction score
Hello-

I have a black dwarf bunny named Bailee- he is 4 years old. Over the past few weeks, I have noticed that his litterbox (I am assume because of his pee) is smelling different (in a bad way).

I haven't brought him to the vet yet because I assume it was from business and stress in the room with finals and graduating from college and also a trip to my parents house where he stayed for a little, but I am starting to get a little worried. He is acting completely normal, eating and drinking voraciously like he always does, and has a normal temperament. His diet has been steady and normal.

I smelled the litter the other day because I have been changing it more frequently and the fresh litter itself smells very chemical-ly and different from usual.

Do you think it could be either a factor of stress, a weird batch of litter, etc, or could it be something more serious that has lasted a while?
Thanks!
Lilly and Bailee

Lol, my name is Bailee too!

Hmm.. from what you said, it sounds like the litter?
What kind of litter do you use?

Maybe you should try different litter and see if the pee smells the same?
Hmm...

ACK!!!! Today I am really worried about him- he stopped eating and refuses even his favorites... I held him for a while and cleaned his bum. His stomach seems swollen, making me think he is gassy- any quick remedies? He is also going through a pretty messy molt, it may be he is having trouble passing something. Anything I can give him to relieve his discomfort? I gave him a good tummy rubbing, groomed him. I changed his box this morning and he hasn't used it since.... :( Any ideas?

Bailee really started going downhill Friday night and I took him to a rabbit-savvy emergency vet. They kept him overnight giving him subQ fluids, syringe feeding him, and keeping him on heat pads. His temperature continued to decrease rapidly (93 deg on Sat morning) and his condition worsened. He would hold the food/water in his mouth and refuse to swallow.

I tried everything, but finally decided to let him go Saturday night. I buried him under one of the most beautiful trees I know... I will miss him. Thank you for all your help and concern.

Oh no, I am so sorry :(
Binky free, Bailee <3

I'm so sorry. I wish that there had been something you could have done. I remember him from when you first joined--what a cute little guy he was.

Back