Urine Scald?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Tigger is my oldest bunny yet my most recent addition to my family. We assume that he is around 9-10 years old.He usually hangs out in his litter box all day and night; therefore,his feces stick to his behind and surrounding areas. Because of this, he getshis bum area shaved about every 4-6 months (asof today, it's been 3 times total). Also, I give him weekly butt baths. I clean hiscage everyday (he has a litter box with carefresh in it and the rest of his cage is lined with vet bed). His cage is pretty small, but he is let out everyday toexercise.

Today I took him to the vettoget shaved like planned. When the vet brought him back out, she told me that he had some urine scald and gave me Neo-Predef to put on him a couple of times a day. Is this powder the correct course of action for this? I check his area everyday, and I've never seen urine scald;however now it is noticeable on the inside of his lefthind leg.

Is there anything else I shouldbe doing to help him with urine scald/poopy butt?

Thank you,

Kathy

angieluv,

To be honest, this particular vet isn't the most rabbit savvy. I actually have three different vets that I go to for my bunnies, depending on the situation and level of emergency. Because this wasa routine shave, I thought this vet would be fine (since she is the closest).

I mentioned to her that I believe Tigger has arthritis in his hind legs, but she didn't do anything about it. I'm going to make another appointment with a more rabbit savvy vet to follow up on all of this.

I think I feel ok about giving him the Neo-Predefpowderafter doing some research (I even found a thread on here where Randy recommended it).

I'm also really upset because this vet visit was just suppose to be $10 for the shave, but it ended up being over $100 :(

Thanks,

Kathy

If Randy recommended it then we all know it's fine. :)

I agree that it's probably best to go to one of the better vets on your list

When you mention arthritis I am wondering if your rabbit could have the hind leg weakness characteristic of e-cuniculi and that this problem with the urine scald is related to that...

Ialso agree that the prices for vet care are outrageous..!!!!!!!!!!

Tigger had an appointment with a rabbit savvy vet a few days ago (July 23), and I thought that I should update this thread.

The vet did a blood panel, an ultrasound on his bladder, and an urinalysis. Everything came back normal so the vet suggested to try feline Cosequin once a day for arthritis along with Metacam everyday for pain management. The Cosequin takes up to 4 weeks to notice results so I suppose we'll know in a month if this is helping.

Kathy

I have a question about administering the Cosequin. It comes in a tablet that you break apart to sprinkle on food, and it's tuna flavored so the vet suggested mixing it with pumpkin or baby food for Tigger. However, I am finding out that he will not even touch pumpkin or the baby food (I've tried apple and carrot). Would it be possible to simply mix the Cosequin with water and syringe it?

Thanks!

Kathy

haha, I know it must smell so gross to him! I am going to try to find some good cranberry juice to mix it with--hopefully it works!

Latest posts

Back