Urine: Rabbits Spraying Competition?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm accustomed to Guy's spraying when he's running around, although it seems to have increased lately. Ebony (female) generally did it less, but tonight she seems to be equally "profuse". It's like they're having a pee spraying competition. My cleaning products bill will be very high if it carries on!

Any light shed or even solutions suggested will be gratefully read :)

Jo xx

My spayed/neutered pair do this, too. They are getting better, but for awhile, they were marking EVERYTHING! Little Miss Emma even went so far as to chin the carpet around where Toby peed (after she peed over it). If they aren't spayed or neutered, that would be the place to start. Are they bonded?

Hi both,
No they are not neutered or bonded which is why they have separate "freedom time" (bonding in the future would be fab but that's not planned currently).

Ah yes, the equivalent 'chinning competition' where each bun marks everything as theirs, maybe because they can smell the other one's scenton it-I'm used to that :)

Jo xx

Spaying/neutering should curb their spraying habits. My neutered little guy still has what I call "pooping fiestas", but they don't happen all the time. He has little outbursts for whatever reason. He still marks "his" territory (which at one point included everything on my boyfriend's side of the room), but it is not that bad. I find a spot here and there, then clean it up.

The two, unaltered rabbits in the same area is probably what is starting the behavior. They smell a strange rabbit and must claim the area as their own. Then the other rabbit is there and tries to cover the other one's scent, etc. It's a vicious circle! Have you tried cleaning up their spots with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water? I've heard that helps to prevent them from marking in that area again.

When I moved Benny (neutered a few weeks ago) in with my spayed doe Raylann first thing he did was spray all over the walls of her hutch. Nice:biggrin2:. He always kept his own hutch very clean. My females (spayed and unspayed ) do the same if I leave another bun's cage open when they are around. They just go in and pee all over but in the litter tray. The spayed one, I guess because she is the top bunny, is the worst! I guess it's just one of those things...

Back