Urine odor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior_n_sweetpea

Reaction score
Is there anyway to control the strong urine odor? We are currently using Yesterday's News litter and we change the litterboxes every day. Each bunny has his own box. And we have an airpurifier in the room and also a bag of those volcanic stones that are supposed to absorb airborne odors. The smell is so strong it just about knocks you down when you walk in the room! Is there anything else I can do? Is there a better litter? We tried the pine pellets (Pestell horsebeddingsimilar toWoodypet) and the smell is just as strong.

1. Clean the litter box with bleach.

2. Use mixture of water and vinegar for carpet oopsies.

I'm having the same problem with mygirls. They live in the kitchen and it stinks!! Ithink we have like 13 air fresheners all around the room.

Lissa wrote:
1. Clean the litter box with bleach.

2. Use mixture of water and vinegar for carpet oopsies.
We clean out the boxes with vinegar every day too! I reallyneed to get the smell under control. Hubby is tolerant of all ourcritters but he won't tolerate the house smelling like a barn! I've hadmany different animals and none have ever had such potent urine!

Every morning?! I do it once a week. Litter is too expensive.

Perhaps they are going to the bathroom somwhereyou are not cleaning? I know my rabbits did this just once, peed on thefloor in my closet, and I couldn't figure out where the constant urinesmell was coming from.

If you're certain that they are thoroughly being cleaned, I can't thinkof anything that works better than fresh air. Constant ventilation isthe only thing that works for me, and I'm amazed how fast it stinks uponce I close the door or windows.

~M

Junior &Sweetpea, we just switched to Woody Pet bedding and it is EXCELLENT onodor control. We can't smell anything now!My husband even commented was it just his imagination or had the odorcompletely disappeared.

Loz n Ebony wrote:
Um does vanilla essence in their drinking water help todecrease the smell? If so that might help.

-Lauren

xXx
Make sure that you are using imitation vanilla extract. Otherwise, youwill have sweet smelling but tipsy bunnies due to the alcohol content.I found that out by accident way back when. Of course, the bunnies wererather nice through all that..hmmm ;)

Wallace

Okay, here's what I recommend:

- Adding natural or imitation vanilla extract to their water (therewon't be nearly enough natural vanilla to make them tipsy), I add 1ccto 32oz water, which was figured out by a recommendation from anothermod on the site. This will naturally cut down quite a bit onthe ammonia in their urine.

- Cleaning the litterbox(es) at least every other day. (As far as saving on litter, see my next point...)

- Getting a wood pellet litter (you can find them for VERY good pricesat tack & feed places...I recommend looking for a place likethat near you...ask for "wood pellet horse stall bedding").The wood pellet litter is not only much less expensive, but also GREATat absorption and odor control. (I suggest switching thelitter gradually.)

- Cleaning the litterboxes themselves with a dilution of half whitevinegar and half water. (I have a generic spray bottle thatI've put the solution in.) If you have stubborn stains, youcan soak the spots in pure white vinegar...let soak for about fifteenminutes. Be sure to rinse everything well.

The above things are very inexpensive, and are VERY good at minimizingthe ammonia smell from bunny urine. The vinegar mixture isalso safe for walls, carpet, etc...so use away! :)

Hope all that helps! :D

Rosie*

Back