Urinary Tract Infections

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm going to have to bring Peanutand Rex in to have them tested for a UTI. Normally, they are very goodwith their box, but lately I've been noticing more urine outside thebox and it's darker (I know red pee is somewhat normal, so should I beconcerned?)

They're going to be moving to a more bunny knowledgable vet, anyway, sothis is a good chance to bring them in. But are there any othersymptoms I can be looking out for?

~M

Lenci had really dark pee one time and someone told me that it was due to too much iron or something like that. :?

Urinecan range from a milkywhite/yellow to a red color. As long as it is not visably blood in theurine. When I got Spice he was peeing red to an orange color and he wastested for a urinary tract infection at the time, it turns out he wasjust having more greens then his body needed and the result is redurine. It's a good idea to probably get tested in case since I can'treally tell you without seeing it for myself.

I believe that rabbiturine changes color depending on what their diet is. Umbra'surine is quite often an orange color. I'm not quite sure why,but since he's had orange urine on many previous occasions, I don'tworry about it. I've heard also that UTI symptoms are muchlike human UTI symptoms; they have very small amounts of urine in manyspots. They strain to urinate. You might see a tinybit of blood; but I don't think it is too much.

At any rate, I've had a UTI twice before,and I can tell you that it's very painful! Experiences Idon't like to repeat...

--Melissa and Umbra

Yes, it's hard to determine whether there isactually something wrong with them, or they are upset because they'renot out as often as they like to be :D

~M

Have you changed their diet?

If not, I think I'd get a test done just to put my own mind at ease.

-Carolyn

No change in diet.

I have to order textbooks for this semester tomorrow (ugh), and oncethat's done, I'll set up an appointment for them, so I at least have myfinances in order. College = voluntary vow of poverty.

~M

Latest posts

Back