Urinary smell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
Compared to Charlie, Bing's urine is much stronger smelling. It smells like more ammonia than anything else. They were on different pellets, but are both switching to Sherwood Forest as of today. Are there any reasons why Bing would smell more? He is intact and Charlie isn't, but Charlie's neuter was so recently I don't believe that is playing a role in this stinky bunny. I dump Bing's litter twice a day to keep it odor free. Charlie goes a full day to day and a half between litter changes. Bing is on a higher protein feed that his breeder feeds. I have read that high or inefficient use of protein can result in increased ammonia. Perhaps someone can comment? I am aware that yucca in foods can mask this ammonia smell but I want to fix it not band aid it. Thanks!

Last edited:
What sort of litter are you using?
Would you say they both drink about the same amount of water? Perhaps Bing's urine is more concentrated than Charlie's? Neutering can definitely have an impact. How old are they?

I would guess that the higher protein feed is what is causing the stronger ammonia smell. That's something I think, that you are going to really like about feeding sherwood. The ammonia smell in my rabbits room, is nearly nonexistent now, since they have been on sherwood. I clean out litter boxes every day, and it used to be that when I opened up their door for cleaning each day, I would get hit with the ammonia smell. Now I hardly notice a smell at all, even at cleaning time. I guess that claim of sherwoods is true, that the protein is used more efficiently. That is the one thing I definitely like about it. I'm still not completely sold, as I've encountered a few problems with some of my buns, since being on the sherwood, and I'm trying to sort those out, but the decreased ammonia smell is a definite plus.

I use equine fresh and I guess it's possible bing drinks less water. I will keep an eye on it and also cross my fingers the food change helps with the ammonia :)
Charlie is 5 month now and Bing is something like 11 weeks. Charlie is neutered. Bing is going to show so he is going to be intact until we know more but he may very well be neutered in the end.

Last edited:
It just dawned on me that Charlie eats a lot of veggies so he is probably taking in an appreciable amount of water that is immeasurable because it comes from his greens!

Excess protein can increase the ammonia output too, you're correct on that, but having two small rabbits sharing a litterbox (albeit it's a jumbo cat box), I only dump my box every 4 days or so once my layer of wood pellets has become wet sawdust and even then I don't really smell it.

Alright I think a lower protein diet is in order for the boys and lucky me! That is just what I bought :)

I agree that being intact can and does, but Charlie was neutered less than a week ago. I never had him smell quite this strongly when compared to Bing, so I was curious what causes may be to blame outside of being intact.

I think that the neuter has something to do with it too. Even though it was just a week ago, he still has had some of the hormones removed by castration. And by comparison with Bing who is right at that sexual maturity where hormones are raging, that could be part of the difference.

It also could be the water consumption. With my two, both neutered and spayed months ago, my females pee is worse than his. I think he just happens to be a but more of a water drinker so hers might be a bit more concentrated.

So if it ends up not being the protein thing, those are just my 2 ideas.

I wanted to let everyone know that Bing's smell has subsided. It is so much less. I used to have to dump his box 2x a day or I could smell it. Now it's ok and doesn't smell between changes. It could still be better and I'm hopeful it keeps going away but it is NOTABLY better. He has had zero upset from his switch to Sherwood which was faster than many would have recommended to me. He is doing well and had no irregular stools so I quickly switched.

Latest posts

Back