URI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiron

Reaction score
I just came home from the vet. I let Lilith out for playtime. I was in the living room while she was in the bedroom. All of a sudden she's running into the living room, bucking everywhere trying to clean her nose. She's barely breathing, she has yellow snot coming out everywhere and I'm running around like a chicken with its head chopped off. Well we're hoping it's just a URI. She's gonna be getting 2ml of Trimeth/Sulf twice a day and we're gonna check back to the vets in a week. She also has an abscess on her right back hock that we never caught. We have Silver Sulfadiaz for it. Hopefully it helps and we wont have to surgically remove it. We came home, I'm keeping Lilith in the front room and Chubbs in the bedroom. I go into the bedroom to see Chubbs and what do I get? Another congested bunny who's having a hard time breathing. Called the vet to make sure I could give Chubbs the Trimeth and waiting for a call back. I'm about to lose my mind.

So I ask you, how will we know if it's just a URI or pasteurella? I've never heard of Trimeth, will it work?

OH wow, Sweetie...

I don't know enough about either to post an answer to your questions...but just wanted to let you know I've got your babies (and you and Errik) in my thoughts and prayers.

Edited to add: I'm sure you've probably already done this, but you can also read about both things here:

Pasteurella
Respiratory Infections
Respiratory Problems
Runny Eyes
Runny Nose

Chubbs is getting the Trimeth as well as Lilith. She's giving me an ok on 1 refill because she didn't give me enough for 2 buns. I see her again next Tuesday.

okiron wrote:
So I ask you, how will we know if it's just a URI or pasteurella? I've never heard of Trimeth, will it work?
I believe that the only way to know is to have a culture done on the discharge. Did you have that done? If so - then they will be able to tell you what it is.

Back in June 2005, Tiny had discharge from his nose and I took him to the vet. She said his nose was damp but she didn't see any real discharge so she couldn't culture it. He was put on baytril for like 2 weeks or something and he never had it show up again.

I do think running a cool mist humidifier can help with their breathing and of course keeping their cages/litter boxes as clean as possible so that the ammonia fumes don't build up.

I know that in the summmer time as it gets hot, I need to be more vigilant about the litter boxes here 'cause it gets hot and stuff...

Peg

Hi,

Pasteurella is a bacteria.....techinically Pasteurella Multocida. It is one of the common bacteria that causes URIs but can also invade and infect any body tissue. It is found sub-clinically (meaning it's present without symptoms) in most warm blooded animals, including humans, and some birds.

Are we sure we have an abscess? If it is a true abscess, SSD and Trimeth will not work. If it is not an abscess, but maybe a staph infection, that would be a proper treatment. Trimeth is a sulfanomide.....human versions are known by several names such as Bactrim, Septra or Sulfatrim...to name a few. Trimeth is effective against most staph you would run into....and we use it for water ingestion in cottontails that have been trapped in a rain storm and sucked water. If it is a true pasteurella infection, there are better options for treatment. The only way to know for sure if it is a bacterial infection and exactly what bacteria is there is to perform a culture. At one time, we just assumed that bacterial infections in rabbits were always pasteurella.....not any more as we have seen pathogens that have not been seen previously in rabbits.

And the discharge you have seen might be nothing more than a stress related reaction to the trip to the vet. But always better to be safe than sorry. So having it checked by your vet is a good idea.

Randy

Peg - We didn't do a culture because she wanted to rule out the URI first.

Randy - Well the Trimeth is for the URI, not the abscess. Yes, it is a true abscess. Maybe she meant it to make sure it didn't get any worse and not cure it? She was going to surgically remove it today if it wasn't for the URI.

Well that doesn't make much siense on the discharge being stress reaction with a vet visit because the discharge is WHY we went to the vet to begin with.

Latest posts

Back