**urgent!! Tears around anus!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savannahg4

Reaction score
My doe has two tears around her vaginal opening. She has a really hard area around the tears and It looks like their is poop deep in the holes. I have notices her not pooping as much but it hasn't been long enough for her to have huge tears from not pooping!! Any ideas on what this could be?? I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Well those would be your rabbits scent glands. This is normal

As for her not pooping, that would be an issue. But is not related to her having scent glands.
can you explain further on her not pooping as much? how much? is she eating?

Agreed, sounds like her scent glands. They sometimes need cleaning and that can be done carefully with a warm wet q-tip. They smell pretty musky.
If you're taking her to the vet anyway, they can show you how to clean them.
If she's not pooping she could be in GI stasis; definitely keep an eye on it!

I feel like an idiot... I assumed they only had them on their cheeks. My bad.

Well those would be your rabbits scent glands. This is normal

As for her not pooping, that would be an issue. But is not related to her having scent glands.
can you explain further on her not pooping as much? how much? is she eating?

She is still eating her hay and her pellets. Chugging her water as usual. She is just pooping less. still pooping. Just not as often. She is shedding a lot. Could that cause a slow down?

you should be brushing her out daily if she is shedding. you want to try to keep the fur out of her system.... helps to prevent wool block.

Shedding can definitely cause a slowdown. Brush, brush, brush.

Also make sure she's got lots of hay and water to keep things moving. Water especially. I'd get her a probiotic gel and give her a bit every day, too.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back