Urgent! Sneezing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
My new bun, Sabriel has started sneezing! (thats what it sounds and looks like) At first I couldn't tell if it was Solara or him because their cages are next to each other, but I just saw him doing it.

What could be the cause of this? I haven't changed anything since I got him!

He eats alfalfa (we're weaning him off of it as he gets older), timothy, and oat hay. We give him pellets, but are slowly weaning him to healthier, adult bunny pellets, caled timothy pellets.

we give him veggies and sometimes apples. veggies such as endive, bok choy, romaine lettuce, parsley mustard greens. everything that was on the house rabbit society's okay list.

he doesn't have bedding, he has a couple blankets, and we use yesterday's news stuff for his litter box. he drinks from a bottle.

oh god, i'm scared this could be very bad ):
i hope it's not.. please help!

he's three lbs also.
i dunno if i left out any info.. he's 7 months old.
a dutch or dutch mix. lilac coloured.

when we took him to the vet 2 days ago they said he was fine!

his nose is a little runny now... he never did this until i wiped the pee off his legs with a baby wipe and his nose a little with a fresh one to get the runny stuff off of it. (he's had a runny nose lately due to the stress of switching homes).

Hmmm....well a few sneezes altogether isn't bad really, but accompanied by a runny nose, this could indicate an infection, or perhaps 'Snuffles' aka Pasturella, but I think it's too early to be getting dramatic about the diagnosis, after a few sneezes.

How does he seem in himself? Eating well? Drinking lots? Enthusiastic with his toys/food? Is he acting the same as normal? Any difference in his urine/poops? Anything unusual at all except the runny nose and sneezes?

Runny eyes? How does the runny nose look? What kind of discharge? Colour?

Has he got crusty paws? If so, his nose has been running quite a bit, and he has been 'wiping' it away with his paws.

Keep a VERY close eye on him, but I wouldn't worry yourself immensely.

If you can, get him to a vets tomorrow, and have some tests done- swab up his nose, and some culture testing, to eliminate Pasturella from the off.

Eating well?
He's eating perfectly well as usual!

Drinking lots?
Yep.

Enthusiastic with his toys/food?
Yeah, seems to be the same. Enthusiastic to see me too.

Is he acting the same as normal?
Yeah.

Any difference in his urine/poops?
He had orangey-red pee earlier in the week. But I heard that that isn't necessarily bad and is from veggies.
It seemed to be smudged on his nose as well. I was worried he was injured but I checked him and everything seemed fine.

Anything unusual at all except the runny nose and sneezes?
No. Yesterday he dug at me and bit my inner thigh, leaving a bruise the shape of a (coughpeniscough). lol. But I think it's because he was scared of the dogs.

Runny eyes?
He has had eye boogers, but normal like eye boogers like how we get when we wake up. nothing runny and nasty.

How does the runny nose look?
Just wet, like water.

What kind of discharge?
Watery.

Colour?
Clear.

Has he got crusty paws?
No, his paws are normal, but when i saw him sneezing, I saw him wiping his nose and then cleaning his whole face.

I'll see if my mom will allow us to go to the vet... I'm hoping he's just having a bout of sneezing fits because of his stress-induced runny nose... :I

Sabrina was sneezy when she was about 10 weeks and as it turned out it was from her hay. I switched brands and the sneezing cleared up. If it is just some sneezes and there is no discharge or any other symptoms maybe run out tomorrow and get some fresh hay in a different brand. However keep a close eye on him and if any other symptoms develop then take him to the vets :(

I hope that he is ok though...

~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
Sabrina was sneezy when she was about 10 weeks and as it turned out it was from her hay. I switched brands and the sneezing cleared up. If it is just some sneezes and there is no discharge or any other symptoms maybe run out tomorrow and get some fresh hay in a different brand. However keep a close eye on him and if any other symptoms develop then take him to the vets :(

I hope that he is ok though...

that'd be weird if it was his hay.. cause he JUST started sneezing like right after i wiped it (very gently i may add) with the baby wipe and he like freaked out and jumped back, so i am wondering if it could be that? o_O i started adding timothy and oat hay hay a few days ago. do their reactions to that happen slowly? we're using timothy with the Nature's Promise and Oat hay with Oxbow brand... hmm..

My mom said she'll call about the vet on monday cause they're closed on sunday's D:

It can wait until Monday. Make sure the vet doesn't just send you out the door with a bottle of Baytril, though. He should check the teeth, at least what can be seen with the mouth scope, and feel around his face for any bumps. If you do end up with an antibiotic, it would be best if the vet did a culture and sensitivity test on the mucus. If that's not happening, make sure you get at least 14 days of antibiotic.

Since she's new it's hard to figure out if it's allergies. The whole environment is new, so it's hard to tell what could be causing it.

If it all started with the baby wipes, just stop using them and give it a few days.

Is that when it started? Wiping off the orange pee?

Baby wipes really shouldn't be used on rabbits. Nothing with chemicals like that is a good idea, but it's also possible the rabbit has a sensitivity to them. I'm sure the initial reaction was in part the sting from inhaling the alcohol fumes.

(Oddly enough I was just watching a medical drama that had a baby come in with mild seizures caused by OD-ing on baby wipes, LOL!)

If there was a problem before that (other than orange pee, which is normal or maybe be a sign of dehydration), then a Vet visit might be in order, but its not an emergency unless its getting progressively worse.

First take a look at something he may be allergic to, like his litter, dusty hay, Fabreeze on his fleece blanket or whatever.

How are his pee and peeing habits now, btw?

At seven months old, dental problems and abscesses are unlikely although of course that kind of exam should be conducted, but that should be done even if he had something obvious like a broken leg, it's just part of a routine exams, or definitely should be.

And I have to disagree with Claire on the Baytril comment, my Vet would for sure send him home with a bottle of Baytril because that is the most likely thing to clear up a mild URI or UTI (upper respiratory or urinary tract infection) in a young bunny, and with young bunnies, that's the most likely ailment(s).

If that didn't work, THEN he'd look at other problems or doing a culture. That's pretty standard Vet care. A Vet conducting a culture without a potentially cheap fix can also be accused of 'gouging', so it's not very black and white.

The down side of this is that Baytil is getting less infective as a result of overuse, but that's another reason to first look at allergies.

And I'll add that a good Vet seeing a bunny and 'sending him out the door with Baytril' shouldn't change and exam fee for the next round if that doesn't work, though, just the culture fee.

And first he'd make sure you had eliminated potential allergy causes.

sas :bunnydance:

It was the first time I used baby wipes XD I only used them because of the orange pee- and it made him smell like pee. (it was really yucky @_@)

My mom suggested to use them, and that's the last time I listen to her! I'll use a wet wash cloth next time! I didn't think the chemicals in that (i didn't even know they had chemicals) would be too much for him!

But yeah, he has stopped sneezing completely. He hasn't sneezed since last night when I went to bed.

I even moved his cage away from my other rabbit's cage last night, just in case it was an infection. But it doesn't seem like it. He seems fine now.

He seems so be doing fine :)
he's not sneezing anymore, and his nose seems to be less runny.
But when he breathes, it sounds like his nose is whistling!
(wee a few mins ago when i was holding him- i hadn't noticed that until now)
But otherwise he seems healthy and fine.
He runs around and runs to the edge of his pen to see me :) he's such a sweetie- besides randomly biting me.
i think i'm "in his way" XD
he drew blood the other day! XD

Glad to hear he's doing better :).

That whistling sounds still implies to me he could have a possible infection still, but it could be just at the end of clearing up, so still keep a good eye on him.

Is he neutered? If not, then that would probably clear up any aggression issues he has. Not mentioning litter box habits, spraying, territoriality, and eliminating possible testicular cancer issues :)

Jen

Back