Urgent. Runt. (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skits

Reaction score
One of susie's four babies hasn't been growing as fast as the others, he's colder and less active too. I've taken him out of his nest, brought him up and fed him some kitten formula, and am now keeping him in a warm hamster transport cage filled with toilet paper bedding. He's sleeping peacefully right now but breathing in a strange way. Any help on what to do next? :(

Taking him away from the litter is only going to make him go downhill faster. I suggest putting him back in with his littermates IMMEDIATELY.

As for trying to help him, force feedings from mama might help. Once every 50 babies or so I'll have one I have to give private feedings with mom because it's just not where it needed to be.

Maybe its an peanut? But yeah I would put it back with the others in the nest, Did you ever get an box and get fur from the momma to make an warm nest?

We tried putting the baby back in the nest and the mom would push it aside into a corner and not let it feed. :(Even trying one on one feedings with baby and mother hasn't worked, she really stopped caring for it since yesterday night.

Put baby back in the nest yesterday and by this morning, he/she was out of the nest and cold on the floor. :(RIP little one. <3

Thank you. :(I don't know what happened over night but we lost our other three babies. They were all in different corners of the nest box. I don't know if it had gotten too cold over night (but we did put the heater on in the basement) or that Susie might of injured them as her litter box was flipped over and everything was a mess. It's crazy how close you can get to the little ones so quickly.

I couldn't tell as she flipped out and tossed everything in the cage around. I know the night before she was collectingbedding to put in thenest and I didn't think much of it, I really wish I would of. She's been very nervous since her babies passed. She's constantly looking for them.

Sorry about your babies.
First time moms sometimes don't care for their babies.
Some tips for next time? Get a commercial nesting box or make one out of wood. Ensure babies will not be able to get out of it. Fill it with Carefresh and Timothy Hay. Do not use paper or towels, etc... as the babies can get trapped under it and separated from their siblings.
Put the nest box in at 27 days after breeding and if she uses it as a litter box make sure you throw out soiled nesting material and refill it.
Hopefully next time she will pull fur and care for her babies!

Back