Urgent...rabbit sick...help! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauraetco

Reaction score
Hello there,

I noticed, yesterday morning, that my rabbit's eye was swollen shut and filled with pus. I immediately took her to the vet where I found out she had a temperature and an eye-infection. I was given antibiotic ointment for the eye but no oral antibiotics. The vet said to update him on her statuson Monday.

Well...she didn't eat all day yesterday and this morning, she's seems very uncomforable (very fidgity) and seems to be having trouble breathing (loud breaths).

Unfortunately, the vet I took her to, yesterday, is closed on Sundays. I called the emergency clinic but the vet there only sees cats and dogs. They gave me a number of a clinic open in the next city but their vet isn't in today. So...I don't know what to do! Obviously the infection has spread to her sinuses but I have no antibiotics to give her! Can rabbits live through this? Is there anything I can get at a pet store to help her? Please help!!!

P.S. She is a medium-sized, 2-year-old lop and was perfectly healthy until yesterday morning. She is not spayed, has not been outdoors recently, and is not within reach of plants/chocolate, etc. She eats pellets and sometimes fresh vegitable.

Thanks!!!

They may ask for your location. So they can maybe help you find a vet. Canyou please put your lcation or tell us? Thanks.

EDIT: Welcome to RO and I'm sorry your bun is sick. :pray:

Where are you located ; you are going to have to try to find another vet fast because this situation sounds really bad

. Has your rabbit ever been on antibiotics orally before ?I am asking this as even a non rabbit saavy vet could give you an antibiotic if you cannot find another one
You could take the page from medirabbit with doses and drugs that are safe with you

you may want to call the emergency vet again and ask if they would feel comfortable prescribing an antibiotic for you but you would need to be sure that it is one that is not lethal for rabbits.
first of all we needyour location to try to find someone else.

I agree, you need to call round and find anyone who could see your bunny.

You're going to need some pain killers probably, you're also going to need some mega anti-biotics, but your bun may need to be admitted if the breathing is that bad so they can maybe give oxygen or something.

Please keep us updated and good luck finding a vet.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances.

Thanks for your help. She just passed away. I tried frantically all morning to find a vet that's open on Sunday that sees rabbits. No luck. I can't believe how fast this happened. She was perfectly find, 48 hours ago.

Sadly, Rabbit's are known for going downhill very quickly.:(
We really need more Rabbit savvy Emergency vets. I have noticed in most area's there is a serious lack.

Binky Free :rainbow:

LossOfPet.jpg

I am really really sorry also...:(

I think that you should explain what happened to your vet and ask for an explanation.. The fact that your bun had a higher than normal temp would mean that the infection was systemic( meaning through out the body ...).

your vet should have known to give antibiotics either to be given orally or through injection.

i think that you should make an issue re, this to save a bun in the future
I am truly sorry that you had to go through all this and lost him

you did everything possible....

((Hugs))

Maureen

I'm so sorry. I agree that the vet did not handle her eye infection very well. Of course I'm not a vet and I'm not there to assess the situation first-hand. Are you in the UK or Australia? I ask because there are some viral diseases that are common in those areas that can cause similar symptoms and rapid death.

Rabbits can hide illness very well so often we don't know they're ill until it's too late, and then only very heroic vet efforts are needed to overcome them. Binky free.

So sorry. :(

I agree with the other posts, the vet should have caught this and given her an injection of a strong antibiotic immediately as well as oral antibiotics and pain meds.

I'd like to make sure (in lieu of a reasonable explanation) this vet isn't on out 'bunny savvy' list. They may be very competent with other animals but tenuous when it comes to rabbits, which is very common. Rabbit medicine can be complicated and vets may under-treat if they're not experienced. In this case the results were tragic. :(

You sound like a great bunny slave, I do hope your life is again blessed with another furry friend and you come visit us under happier circumstances.

:rip: Muffin

sas :pink iris:

so sorry for your loss

Binky free little Muffin :angelandbunny:

Latest posts

Back