**URGENT ** PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walnutgrove

Reaction score
I live in Texas and it has been VERY hot today - 108 to be exact. I keep my rabbits, Californians, in the shade (many tall pecans that shade it 24/7). I also keep fans on all day and night and keep frozen water bottles in their pens. Around 11 am I went to check on them as I knew it was going to be a scorcher and found my female (approx 1 yr old) not looking so great. I immediately took her inside and put her in a cat crate. After she cooled down I gave her some baby carrots to coax her into eating something since her food hadn't been touched. She ate them and her spirits picked up. A few minutes ago (8:30pm) I went to put her back outside in her pen for the night and clean out the crate when I saw her vaginal area. I have no idea what is going on. Before getting rabbits I read a bunch of books but none of them talked about anything like this. I called every 24 hr vet there is and none see rabbits. Can someone please tell me whats wrong with her?
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m510/NicholeColeman/rabbit016.jpg
in the following picture she is wet because she knocked over a bowl of water that I had put in the crate as I was getting her out
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m510/NicholeColeman/rabbit014.jpg
Any help is appreciated. TY

I am only guessing as I have a very poor screen. She may have a urinary tract infection brought on by the heat and dehydration. You need to get some extra fluids into her, and she may have a yeast infection on that area from the heat. Can you clip her around the inflamed area, then put and wash her gently. Dry her well. You really need to keep her inside where it is cooler, especially until someone on here with more experience with this sort of thing can give you more advice. Put some cranberry juice in her water, wet down her veggies. If you really notice that she is not drinking much, phone around until you find someone in your area, breeder or whatever that may have some better advice for you. I noticed that some of the forum are putting ice cubes in their animals water to help cool them down. Check the library on the forum for any advice on urinary tract infection and localized yeast infections. Right now you need to get her cool and dry.

Thank you very much for the advice. I also posted this on Homesteading Today forum and someone had seen this before and told me what to do. Thank you very much !!!!

started pushing flavored pedilyte in them too., theyll happily take it from syringe if its flavored. mine do anyways..may want to think about bringing them in somewhere cooler

Walnutgrove, the advice on Homesteading Today (which is a great, knowledgeable site tho hard to take for pet rabbit people) is great, what you're seeing is urine scald, but you have to figure out WHY it's urine scald.

Most of the posts on HT said how to treat the scald, but not a lot of advice about treating the issue. Rabbits don't just start leaking urine for no reason. Chances are it's a urine infection, and somebody here also mentioned a prolapse of some sort.

The rabbit will need this assessed or at least treatment with the advice given here, which is fluids, cranberry juice and antibiotics. If a vet isn't in the cards, you can get something like injectible PenG from a feed store.

Good luck, and please, to help other bunnies, let the people here know the advice you got elsewhere and what worked, thanks!

sas :expressionless:

Pipp wrote:
Walnutgrove, the advice on Homesteading Today (which is a great, knowledgeable site tho hard to take for pet rabbit people) is great, what you're seeing is urine scald, but you have to figure out WHY it's urine scald.

Most of the posts on HT said how to treat the scald, but not a lot of advice about treating the issue. Rabbits don't just start leaking urine for no reason. Chances are it's a urine infection, and somebody here also mentioned a prolapse of some sort.

The rabbit will need this assessed or at least treatment with the advice given here, which is fluids, cranberry juice and antibiotics. If a vet isn't in the cards, you can get something like injectible PenG from a feed store.

Good luck, and please, to help other bunnies, let the people here know the advice you got elsewhere and what worked, thanks!

sas :expressionless:
I was trying to look at it at workearlier and now that I look closer I agree that it could well be urine scald. Maybe nota prolapse, but it is certainly swollen. One of our does had scald and the vet gave her antibiotics and ointment to put on her skin. She developed itsoon after she weaned a litter. It cleared it up and hasn't come back.

Latest posts

Back