urgent: PLEASE HELP ME

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard plain shredded wheat will help putweight on them. They love it, too. You just get the plain cereal at thegrcery store.

I'd be worrying about worms of some kind at thispoint. My E. Lop buck is skinny, but my vet ran some testsand all came back clean. Both my vet and Cedric's breederhave assured me that he's just in a growth stage that all E. Lops gothrough.

I'd look for a vet and make sure they do a fecal exam. I'dtry the oats in the mean time. I've also heard about usingShredded Wheat. My buns love it, except Cedric, he justthrows it in his litter box.

Jen

Try tiny pieces of apple (thin slice) so theyget used to it. I don't know if apple would help, but it couldn't hurtthem?Are they all in the same cage? I was thinkinmg if youhad one rabbit hogging the food? Try feeding them more. How much do youfeed them in a day? Try increasing the amount of pellets and sprinkle atablespoon of oats on it. Also get some alfalfa hay. My rabbit loved itwhen she had been loosing weight when she had a hairball and it helpedher gain weight good.

I think that its very odd that its the males andnot the females. If it was a parasite I don't think it woulddiscriminate between sexes. I adopted a bunny,Rudy,that passed a piece of tapeworm after he was neutered.He was treated with Drontal which is used on kittens. He wasoverweight and still is. I'm not sure that other worms infect bunnies.Even if you can't go to a vet you could still talk to one on the phone.When you say" thin" do you mean that if a person looked at the bunniesthey would be shocked by it.?

Please dont take this the wrong way, and Ipromise I am not trying to be rude, but how long have they been likethis? They dont become asskinny as you are describing overnight ...

To say that only the males are this way (b/c I am assuming all themales and females are separated) sounds like they swapped some sort ofbug to each other, most likely a parasite as everyone else hassuggested. They need to get to a vet ASAP b/c if they do indeed have aparasitic infection and are that skinny, their immune system is goingto be very comprimised and I wouldnt be surprised if I were you if asecondary illness such as a respiratory infection and/orstasishas already started/or is well on its way to be.

Also if they are as a skinny as you describe, you cannot overfeed themall at once to get their weight back on. It will be EXTREMELY taxingand stressful on the heart. When brought to the vet have him/heroutline a weight gaining schedule that will gradually help put thepounds back on.

Please I urge you to get these boys to the vet ASAP

Freddysmom Iforgot .thatthey would be separated. I agree that there issomething probably really wrong with the males. iloveallrabbits saysshe has no rabbit vet in her area.but maybe she could get a number fromHRS

angieluv wrote:
Freddysmom Iforgot .that theywould be separated. I agree that there is something probably reallywrong with the males. iloveallrabbits says she has no rabbit vet in herarea.but maybe she could get a number from HRS
at this point iwould recommend seeing if a normal vet would just do a fecal exam tosee if there is a parasite ...also if she doesthisiloveallrabbits can go there with the knowledge of whatmeds are usually used to treat what and that vet may prescribe for her.Its better than nothing

they have been this way for about 2 weeks, they are still eating normally even on of the are more overweight than the others.

and i would have already taken them to the vet if i could find one

thank you

pamela

well i just emailed the vet, guess i will have to weight till the morning till they will answer me.

strangest thing, i just went out there to feed the for the second timetoday and they tottaly just goobled, maybe(i hope) that means i shouldjust feed them more.

Pamela

I think you should really call the 24-hournumber .. if they dont tell you to come right in, theywillmake an appt. for you for the morning..i wouldnt count onthe vet replying to your email in the morning ...

....feeding them more isnt going to fix anything...if you say they areacting totally normal and eating but constantly losing weight they havesome sort of parasite ..and no matter how much you feed them theparasite is getting that food not the bunny..and its not going to help..

...think of it as your bunnies have been not fed since two weeks ago..and they are literally starving to death....they need toget to the vet right now if possible to get to the bottom ofthis situation..

iloveallrabbits wrote:
they have been this way for about 2 weeks, they are stilleating normally even on of the are more overweight than the others.

and i would have already taken them to the vet if i could find one

thank you

pamela

I think i misunderstood that. Are some of the boys at healthy weight?

took them to the vet this morning and he testedtheir poos ands siad that they did not have anytype of parasite and hethinks that i have a pig in the group and o should feedn those two alone

so today i went out to feed them and the two bucks eat almost all theirweight in food turns out that whenever they would want to eat with thebigger bucks that they would be pushed out of the way so they can eat.

well now i put two bowls of food in their so they all get enough

ps(the vet told me to call back if they become lethargic)

pamela

Latest posts

Back