Urgent! Need answers!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BlueGiants, but there's a 50/50 chance she is pregnant. My mom wouldn't take her to vet even if she was in danger of dying, she never does because she doesn't care, and she makes up excuses.:( I always want to take them to the vet right when they start bleeding or something and she says "they'll be fine." But I will take Lily to the vet tomorrow, because I'll call someone who will take her if she has to go.

Gentle: Nope, this is my 5th litter.

At this point, you should be able to feel the babies kicking. If you put her on a table facing you, gently put your hands on the lower part of her abdomen. DO NOT PRESS IN WITH YOUR FINGERS. Gently and smoothly press in with your whole hand. Do not press very hard, if you wait there for a moment, you should feel them kick. Good luck, Emily. You are doing a great job.

Sharon

Thanks guys.

Starlight, that's what I've been doing, although it doesn't really feel like a kick, I do feel some sort of movement that wouldn't be felt in a non-pregnant does abdomen, and how do i know this? I also felt a non-pregnant does abdomen! lol.

We haven't yet gone out to check Lily. If she starts nesting, and doesn't have a litter, there's two things that could be happening: either a false pregnancy or endometriosis, which i have no clue what it is, but it is in the bunny's uterus, so I'm guessing it only happens in girls; but i'm not about to start thinking that's what this is.

Emily

EDITED TO ADD:

Ok I did my research and endometriosis is: (taken from: http://endometriosis.org/endometriosis.html)

"Endometriosis is a condition where tissue similar to the lining of the uterus (the endometrial stroma and glands, which should only be located inside the uterus) is found elsewhere in the body. "

So I don't think that's what Lily has, but who knows. If I get really worried i will take her to the vet, because I'll use the $100 I was going to buy a saddle with, to pay for her. I would much rather have my rabbit live than buy a cheap saddle!

Emily

Hi Blue Giants! Nope, no updates. Lily is doing good though. We actually think she wasn't pregnant we were just thinking/feeling/hearing things i guess. She's active, been eating, sleeping in the nestbox. lol. All the stuff she would normally do, besides the nestbox.

But no babies to report of. I'll keep the nestbox in there for a few more days, just in case i mis-guessed her due-date.

Emily

I wish there was a law to stop people with no income breeding rabbits - I can't believe you have a rabbitry when still at school, and cannot afford appropriate care if any of your rabbits become ill. I can't believe your parents allow you to breed rabbits when they aren't willing to help you out in emergencies. Please reconsider waiting until you have a job, and set income before breeding further. Your rabbits deserve proper care.

I understand this one was an accident, and am **** glad it wasn't a real pregnancy but these rabbits are living creatures, and kids are not capable of giving them the care they need through pregnancy. You love your rabbits, I can see - please keep them as loved pets from here on in.

Sorry if I sound harsh - this just upsets me.

Munchkin: I do not appreciate that comment at all. I give all my rabbits proper care and have other terms of transportation to the vet if necessary. You should feel ashamed that you would even state that when you don't know much about this at all. I can afford appropriate care for my rabbits - what makes you think I can't? A lot of "young" adults have rabbitries, some kids even younger than I have them! I'm 15 years old, and am fully capable to run and manage my own rabbitry, thank you very much.

Also, we have an income. Ok? And my rabbits are for showing, breeding and pets. If you think that what I'm doing (Trying to better the breeds I raise, raise healthy rabbits, keep all my stock in great condition) is wrong then i'm sorry for the way you feel, but you're 100% wrong in your post about my rabbits; you may not be wrong about others who do that, but that's not true about me.

Emily

I read the entire thread plus another thread where you state your parents do not agree with you breeding, so I think I have a pretty good idea of your situation, and am pretty positive you are too young to be breeding rabbits.

I never said that my parents don't agree with me breeding. I said they pick when i can breed my does. And I am not too young. There are a lot of breeders out there who's children breed rabbits. I'mdont agree with breeding bunnies that aren't purebred, yes, but if you're breeding to better a breed and it's in a safe, humane way and you have vet access I'm all for it.

My rabbits are in the best care possible, if you don't think so come take a look. Look at my website www.freewebs.com/blueskyacresrabbitry/ and see the effort we are taking to better our rabbitry and everything.

Just to let you know as well, I've bred rabbits before too. So I know what i'm doing thank you very much. You however, don't know much about the breeding world, possibly? Just that you know who's side your on and there's no way anyone can change it.

Emily

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. ('Tis the busy season!)

Munchkin, you made your point,we'd appreciate it if you don't post in this thread again. This is the Rabbitry section, it's meant for breeders.

Let's move on, shall we?

sas :bunnydance:

As a breeder (and moderator), I'd like to take a moment to post in here and share a few concerns. I'm not criticizing you - I'm trying to point out things that might help for the future.

While you do not have to have thousands of dollars to breed (and I'm sure most of us don't) - I would not breed again until you have been able to set aside at least enough money to get a doe x-rayed in case of problems - particularly if you're breeding an older doe or a doe for the first time. I rushed two does to the vet during non-emergency hours last week and paid $202 total for the two does to have an exam and xrays. As it turned out - they did not have stuck kits and I was thankful for that. I know a c-section can make things even more expensive and I know of lionhead breeders who have paid $500 and up for emergency c-sections and still lost the kits and the mamas. Yes - these were rare and extreme circumstances...but it can happen. I'd suggest you have at least $250 set aside towards potential vet bills.

Also - you have talked about how your mom feels about breeding animals and stuff. I would make sure I had transportation available in case I needed to go to the vet. If this isn't your parents - then perhaps a neighbor or someone else.

I also want to point out that you have mentioned breeding another older doe and even though some of us tried to explain why it isn't good...it seemed (to me) - like you were determined to do it anyway. I would encourage you to not only visit this board and ask questions - but find a way to network with local ADULT breeders in your area and see if maybe some of them would sort of "mentor" you and take you under their wing and teach you some things. There is nothing like having a breeder take an animal and explain to you why it is showable or why they feel it would be worth breeding that particular doe or buck. Many breeders will sell "proven" does (that have had litters) - and sometimes even breed them for you with a buck they think would make a good match. They can explain about why they would pick that particular pair to breed together and the strengths and weaknesses of each animal. I think this would help your litters to do better as far as selling them after they are weaned because you would know more about the rabbits. I know I take a lot of time to study each of my animals before I breed them and think through WHY I am breeding them before I do so...for instance...does the buck have something that might help compensate for a doe's fault (or vice versa). Having a breeder handy to help you learn those things will make you a better breeder.

I'm not saying "don't breed". I'm not trying to say that you're wrong for breeding. I am trying to say that before you breed again - make sure you have a vet fund ready and that you have a doe that is of the right age to breed and that other breeders have recommended for breeding.

Peg

TinysMom: Thank you for your input. Yes we always have money on hand in case of emergencies. We will be breeding a doe or two next year and we are planning to have them x-rayed and ultrasound-ed. But what post does it say that we were going to breed another older doe? The netherland dwarf one? Well we aren't breeding her, but no one knows that because it seems (to me) that after I reply ever one vanishes. Why's that?

And we are planning on breedin our English Lop to a -young- doe. As in an 8 or 9 month old does. For the older does, (1-2 yrs) we are having them examined by the vet before we would breed them and if the vet and other responsible breeders in our area say not to breed, than we won't;

Emily

Another thing, I don't see why this post is somehow turning against me and my breeding of rabbits (and how well me and my friend take care of our rabbits), but it's making all of us (BSAR, BlueSkyAcresRabbitry-me, and FSR) very angry.

You don't know what goes on in our rabbitry in day-to-day life, so I hate it when you all go out there and judge us like were a bunch of "little girls" who don't know what the heck we're doing. Here's a word of correction for you: We read the books, we know what we're doing, we HAVE money to take our rabbits to the vet, and we KNOW when they need to go. If you think that we would just let our rabbits die, if you THINK that our rabbits have improper care, than maybe you should come see for ourselves, MAYBE you don't know that we would NEVER let them die, and we ALWAYS DO & WILL take them to the vet and give them the best care possible.

Emily

LOL! This could just be one of those 'series of misunderstandings' things, I haven't been following it.

But except for the parental references, Peg's advice would have been the same for any newish breeder. I didn't get the impression anyone thought 15 was too young by any stretch.

We have Moderators younger than that. ;)

All is well, points have been made, questions asked, answers given, and I think everybody has a clearer picture.

But I just re-read this, and we're certainlyoff topic fromthe 'Urgent, Need Answers' post. :threadhijacked:

You'll all have tostart a new one if you want to continue. :)

sas :thanks:

Emily,

Peg has given you very helpful, and non judgemental advice. She has tried to give you suggestions that can help you and your bunnies. Why would that make you angry?

Peg gave me a really hard time when I bred Sandy,but she was doing it for the bunnies, to make sure they were ok, and to help where necessary. It didn't make me angry, although it did scare me, but she did it for the sake of my bun.

If your buns are as important as you say they are, then you will gladly take on Peg's advice and listen to it closely because she has your buns best interests at heart.

Unfortunately, until that post about you BSAR and FSR being angry, you came across, to me, as really mature. That post showed your younger side. No, I'm not saying you are too young to breed, but I am saying that you are young, and have a lot to learn, so try to take on board everything you can.

Off topic posts will be deleted, sorry.

On topic... I think does 'reabsorbing' their litters seems to be a very common thing. It seems really weird to me, but so many bunnies here have appeared pregnant (or been confirmed pregnant) and had the pregnancy simply go away.

I'd love to have more info on that. (If anybody's ambitious, could use it for the Library). :)

sas :?

Back