Urgent! Need answers!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipp- Well (like i said in an earlier post) we weren't positively sure that she -was- pregnant, but she happened to be showing all the pregnancy signs, like growling, and squeaking when anyone came near her/touched her. So, we prepared ourselves if she needed to go the vet (which we have money to do...) and I was going to have her ultrasounded, so i asked on here if that was a good idea, since it could be so late in her pregnancy and she would just become more stressed, so Cathy (BlueGiants) said it'd be better to just wait and see what happens. But, yes we do have enough money to take our rabbits to the vet when there's emergencies, but we also have a first aid kit as well.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Pipp- Well (like i said in an earlier post) we weren't positively sure that she -was- pregnant, but she happened to be showing all the pregnancy signs, like growling, and squeaking when anyone came near her/touched her. So, we prepared ourselves if she needed to go the vet (which we have money to do...) and I was going to have her ultrasounded, so i asked on here if that was a good idea, since it could be so late in her pregnancy and she would just become more stressed, so Cathy (BlueGiants) said it'd be better to just wait and see what happens. But, yes we do have enough money to take our rabbits to the vet when there's emergencies, but we also have a first aid kit as well.
LOL Emily, I never questioned that stuff.

What I'm saying is that I think she WAS pregnant and reabsorbed the litter. I'm not experienced with breeding, but I've seen this so often on this forum, I think it's more common than people realize.

This is different than stuck kitsor anyissues like that. The does appear to be pregnant, their guardians can even feel thekits moving at 14 days or three weeks or whatever, and they never give birth. (Nor do thayhave health issues). I know it's definitely not uncommon for does to reabsorb litters, but I'm beginning to think it's more common than people realize.

I'm wondering howoften it's known to happen, and what kind of research has been done on it. It just seems to be an odd quirk of nature to me, but I'm not a rabbit. ;)

sas :D

Pipp wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
LOL Emily, I never questioned that stuff.

What I'm saying is that I think she WAS pregnant and reabsorbed the litter. I'm not experienced with breeding, but I've seen this so often on this forum, I think it's more common than people realize.

This is different than stuck kitsor anyissues like that. The does appear to be pregnant, their guardians can even feel thekits moving at 14 days or three weeks or whatever, and they never give birth. (Nor do thayhave health issues). I know it's definitely not uncommon for does to reabsorb litters, but I'm beginning to think it's more common than people realize.

I'm wondering howoften it's known to happen, and what kind of research has been done on it. It just seems to be an odd quirk of nature to me, but I'm not a rabbit. ;)

sas :D

Emily,It's like a bunny abortion, they do it themselves all inside their body, so they can be pregnant, and then effectively abort it.

We had one that did that, and I know lots of people who have had them do it too.

Yah,I know that can happen.

She's doing good today. I took the nestbox out of her cage and cleaned it. Nothing was in there so....

But yeah I think she was pregnant and reabsorbed her litter, but that's just so weird. I wish she hadn't of done that, but we put a lot of stress on her when we shouldn't have. That's the first time a bunny has done that to us, if she was pregnant.

Emily

ok i found this info for you pipp for your library

Reabsorption is when a pregnant doe reabsorbs the unborn litter back into her bloodstream. This usually happens if the doe is unfit to have a litter (unwell or too old). Also, this can happen if the doe is under stress.

info from here http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Pregnancy.htm

my mate had a doe that would take a mating she could feel the kits moving at about 3 weeks then no babies at 31 days she tried everything as this doe was a perfectly marked butterfly mini lop with type to die for but it wasn't ment to be so she went off as a pet

shelly

xx

I have a doe that was due today that absobed her litter. I palpated her

at 11 days and confirmed that she was bred. She is a proven brood doe

and was under no stress.

Sometimes the amount of light and the time of year can cause a doe

to absorb their litter.

Roger

Latest posts

Back