URGENT: Leg Injury

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopMad

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this!

My rabbit, Summer, has a suspected injured leg. Yesterday, I put her in the playpen in the morning and when I put her back in her cage at night, I noticed she was limping and holding her left front paw off the ground.

I checked in between her toes, I checked the foot and the leg and couldn't find any injuries, splinters or things that might be causing her pain.

She didn't eat much last night and has been sitting hunched, so I've given her some critical care and water just to be safe and keep her gut going.

Summer is a hopping rabbit, but she hasn't jumped in over a week so I've ruled out that. I'm guessing that she may have injured herself jumping up or down her playpen house.

I am going overseas in less than a week and boarding won't take her in because of the injury. She will be going to the vet, most likely in two days though as I am working. Is there anything I can do until then?

I'll post photos ASAP.

I would keep her relatively confined and restrict movement. She may have simply pulled a muscle or she may have a fracture or break. Depending on the location the vet may not be able to do much except prescribe pain killers.

Thanks Azerane :) She's putting a little more weight on it today and it doesn't look as weird or swollen either. She's still eating less than normal so I'm going to continue critical care and water. I'm hoping that it isn't broken or fractured! Hopefully the vet tomorrow will be able to tell what it is.

She went downhill again yesterday :( I examined her again and her leg was VERY swollen! I was due to take her to the vet yesterday, but didn't get the chance as I am really busy trying to get all of my pets organised. I am hoping to go this afternoon.

She's acting better again today and putting weight on it, so I have no idea what's going on.

Swollen means that there's an infection, she will definitely need to go today or it will simply continue to get worse, it's likely that there is a break inside. Without treatment it could potentially lead to septicaemia. An infection with a break means there'll also be a longer recovery. She needs to go today.

Back