URGENT! Is my Lacy going to be ok?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramelsoda

Reaction score
She is a 4 month old English Spot. We are at my parents house and we let her go outside in the yard when it's nice out, but I'm always supervising. They also have a little dog that is a miniature dachshund mix. She is sometimes out at the same time as the bunny. They usually get along good, but just a while ago when they were both outside, there was an incident. Lacy started running and the dog thought that it would be fun to chase her. And she chased her like crazy until our bunny started squealing out of exhaustion. We finally got the dog to stop and Lacy went over against the wall of the house and fell over. I picked her up and brought her back inside. She doesn't have any injuries but she won't stop breathing so hard. I put some water on her back to get her to cool down and I tried feeding her (her favorite alfalfa hay, pellets, and lettuce) but she won't eat. She's in her pen now. Is she going to be alright? What else should I do? Should we go to the vet? We are currently packing up and getting ready to go back home (which is 50 miles away) and there's not a vet where we live. I'm so worried about my Lacy :cry1:

i don't really know but it sounds like maybe she was scared. rabbits only squeal when they are injured to my knowledge, i know they can literally be scared to death. i would just try to keep her calm and quiet for awhile and keep an eye on her to see if you notice any changes. i hope her ride home won't be too stressful on her when she sounds like she is already pretty stressed out. good luck to little lacy....:pray:

Ok It's been at least 25 minutes and she already seems to be doing better. She ate a few pieces of lettuce and some paper towel >.< Now she's laying down on the other side of the pen. So she moved around a bit. She seems more relaxed now. I was really worried though.

Oh no! :( I'm sorry, poor baby...

Rabbits will squeal just out of pure terror, not just because they are injured. My ex-rabbbit Fiver did this to me several times. Every time we let him out, he would go crazy and if we tried to catch him to put him back up, he'd start squealing because he was crazy and scared of us. He would breathe rapidly too but he'd eventually calm down

I would not let her be around the puppy again though, you wouldn't want that to happen again. I hope she starts feeling better!

It is good that Lacy is doing better. By the dog chasing her, Lacy actually went into a state of shock and exhaustion. It will be best to keep her calm and quiet fora while when you get home.

Same thing happened to one of my bunnies when a guy brought his dog over to my house. The dog didn't know what the bunny was, and proceeded to investigate in its own way. My bunny, Benjamin, almost died from the experience and it would have been only from the shock the dog induced by chasing. I called the vet, and he said to keep the dog away, and to keep the bunny in a darkened, warm, and quiet environment. Benjamin was never the same again. He lost all of his confidence and became very quiet. :(

Back