URGENT* how cold is too cold for day old kits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nella&david

Reaction score
My holland lop gave birth early this morning to two kits, but only one survived though. When I first went to check on them, the surviving one was warm in the back of the nest while the one that died was closer to the entrance of the nest and I’m pretty sure that one may have froze to death.. last night it was about 42°-43°F, my holland lop’s housing is a hutch outdoors and tonight it will be the lowest at 45°F. Will it be too cold for the remaining kit? Should I bring the doe and nesting box inside or would the doe leave the kit if I move the nesting box? If I were to move the nesting box and doe indoors, it would only be for tonight and I would return both to the hutch in the morning

If I were you, I'd bring the doe and kit inside just to be safe. I've never bred rabbits before but I think I've heard other people on the forum mention that the best temperature for bunnies is between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Hopefully someone more informed will know for sure, but if the first kit froze then I'd definitely bring the doe and living kit inside.

Last edited:
If it stresses your doe to be moved or to be indoors, you can bring the nestbox in. Then just take the nestbox out to the doe in the morning and evening for her to nurse the kit. A single kit would likely have a hard time maintaining warmth at low temperatures.

It’s possible there was something wrong with the kit that died. Though it is a bit harder for a lone kit to survive in cold temps, if the nest was well made and the doe covered the kit when leaving the nestbox, it could survive. You could also put a warming light over the box (but outside the cage) to help.

Latest posts

Back