Urgent, Home Needed for 2 Dogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seniorcats

Reaction score
I am working with an acquaintance to help place 2 dogs. Her adult daughter is in a physically abusive marriage and cannot take it any more. She will be leaving her home to go stay with her parents. She will not leave her abusive husband until she finds a place for her dogs or a women's shelter that will take them in too.

I don't have a lot of info on the dogs except they are brother and sister, spayed/neutered and she has had them since they were puppies. I am trying to gather more info.

347696518.jpg

Does anyone in Illinois or surrounding states think they may be able to take in 2 dogs? Is anyone of aware of any battered women's shelters in the area that also take in pets or help place them?

Thanks on behalf of Patsy and her DD.

A little more info on the dogs: They were born in Sicilly in 06 and adopted when her daughter was living there. The female is 35-40 lbs and the male is 60 lbs. Male, neutered, shy at first and then ok once he knows the person. Female, spayed, very outgoing. Both are microchipped.

PS Thanks Flashy, will have Patsy do that.

What a horrible situation!

I don't know the Illinois area, but in Sheboygan our shelter has an agreement with the local women's shelter. If a woman needs to go to a shelter and can't leave a pet behind, the shelter will take it in and find someone to foster it for as long as needed. Usually an employee or frequent volunteer will take them. I know my friend who used to work there did it once.

Maybe call around at area shelters, see who has similar policies? We have it because studies have found that women sometimes won't leave to save themselves if they can't get their pets out too.

Best of luck, wish I could help. :pray:

Edit: Just a thought, any idea if they are prey aggressive? Beagle/greyhound I'd guess yes. Not like I have room in my house but...

Hi Angela,

We're checking with PAWS (http://www.americanhumane.org/human-animal-bond/programs/pets-and-womens-shelters/)

and several other groups plus local shelters. Patsy, the momof the abused gal, lives on a military base and has a 2 pet limit. She and her DH already have 2 dogs so they can't take in their daughter's dogs. They would be quickly booted out of base housing.

I can't say about prey aggression. They haven't been around cats or rabbits. I really think it would be riskyfor you or another rabbit owner to take them in since they are a greyhound/ beagle mix. Thanks for even considering it.

Ann

Well I do have one idea...I am overwhelmed at the moment house sitting for a vacationing friend (cruise to Cozumel). She has 4 cats and a greyhound. That makes 24 animals in my care at the moment. Maye I'll get the dogs from Illinois and just leave them inBeth and Scott'sgarage for when they come home from vacation. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise?

THey are adorable looking dogs. I feel so bad for her and that she cannot keep them since they have been with her since they were babies.

Yep, I'd put a ribbon and a tag from Santa on them.........

Things are getting uglier in the household where the dogs live.Updates from Patsy, the mother of the battered woman, are grim. The batterer is threatening the dogs also.

Patsy has called and e-mailed rescues in 4 states and only one responded. They asked for more info and nothing has been heard yet.

We've found the names of rescues in Illinois, Indiana,Michiganand Ohio and are contacting all. A few in Wisconsin have also been contacted.

If you know of anyone in interested in adopting or providining a possibly long term foster, please PM me.

:sad:

Any idea if they've contacted Two Left Paws? That's a cat/dog rescue up by me. If they do go somewhere in WI I could probably help with transportation.

I hope everyone can get out safely.:pray:

This story is so sad...im so sorry. I hope she can find a rescue that could help these poor babies out, or maybe even a foster parent to keep them til' she is on her feet...

Please keep us posted!

Jessica

Latest posts

Back