Urgent help needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopMad

Reaction score
Last night while I was giving my rabbits there pellets for the night, one of my rabbits started choking. He had all this stuff coming out his mouth. I quickly took him to the emergency vet and they said he should be okay. I took him home.

I know my rabbit better then anyone and I can tell that something's up.

He's been sitting in the same spot for hours and when I put him in the playpen he barley moves.

He eats his pellets (which I have decided to turn into a mash until he gets better), barely any veges and no hay. I also believe he hasn't pooped for at least 6-7 hours.

Chilli is usually very interested in the girls, not anymore.

One thing I think might of happened is that the liquid coming out of his mouth got sucked up into his lungs because he's breathing a bit weird and sometimes coughs and sneezes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would suggest taking your bun to the vet to be seen immediately!

When rabbits have a choking episode, they can easily aspirate the contents and develop aspiration pneumonia. It sounds like it's possible this may have occurred with your bun, and if so it can be very life threatening, very quickly. I'm a bit shocked your vet didn't make you aware of this risk, and would be concerned with how experienced the vet is with rabbits. If it were me, I would try and find a more experienced rabbit vet. But regardless your rabbit does need to be seen by a vet right away and get on antibiotics. Your bun will probably need fluids, pain meds, maybe a gut stimulant, and will likely need to be syringe fed if he isn't eating well.

If very severe, it's possible your bun may need to be hospitalized, and may need oxygen as well.

Last edited:
I can't take him to vet :( Is there anything I can do until I get enough money to take him?

If he does in fact have aspiration pneumonia, there is no home care that can fix this. He would need immediate veterinary care and medication to have any chance at surviving.

It could just be an inflamed irritated airway, but it could also very possibly be aspiration pneumonia, and if it is, that is a life threatening condition. Even with rapid treatment, rabbits that contract this don't always survive. Not being a vet and not being there to examine your rabbit, I can't diagnose what may be going on. But just from your description, aspiration pneumonia is a very big concern.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Aspiration_Pneumonia.htm

You could call up the emergency clinic that you took your rabbit to initially and tell them your concerns. Maybe they will provide the meds and care that your rabbit really should have received last night to begin with, that could have prevented this type of thing from happening. If it is pneumonia and he is stable, they should in the least give you antibiotics and an anti inflammatory, though other meds and syringe feeding may also be called for.

Last edited:
. Since he hasn't pooed and isn't eating much it would make everything worse if he got dehydrated. So I would syringe some electrolyte fluids into him with a syringe.

He's eating a little bit, just not hay. We syringe fed him some water and he drank it. He's pooping but its sticking to his fur. He keeps head up and sitting in the same spot and not running. I think he's gonna die.

If taking him to a reliable emergency vet is out of the question, is there a rabbit rescue nearby that would be willing to take him to the vet for you? Sounds like he is suffering...

The bit about further investigation probably means you declined to have various tests done that they offered at an extra cost or you didn't inquire about running more tests because it was presumed that his condition wasn't yet serious. A call to a rescue shelter would be worth a shot as they would have access to low cost reliable vet care if you absolutely can't take him in yourself..

Could you take him to the vet, get him treated, then when you go to the register just tell them you don't have the money right now and to bill you. Then pay them when you can.

No good or reliable bunny shelters or vets around here :( I really want to take him.. Treated, put down or whatever.. I just want him out of his misery. He's not enjoying life, its a struggle to get him to eat and drink now and he pees all over himself. I would take him to the vet if I could, but at the moment I can't. I'm not even going to be home for 2 days.

If your rabbit is clearly suffering and you aren't able to get him the needed treatment, then please, at least get him to a vet or animal shelter to have him pts. It is much kinder than letting him die slowly and painfully over the next day or two.

It has been decided. Chilli is going to be pts :( Just one month before his second birthday. I feel so selfish for wanting him longer but also wishing he was dead. He was my first mini lop and taught me so much about rabbits.

Thanks everyone for your help. If it wasn't for you I'd just keep praying that he'd be okay.

I'm kind of annoyed that the vet didn't warn me about this happening. I know that most vets are not that experienced with bunnies :( It was the closest vet available at 9.30pm.

Chilli has always eaten his pellets quickly. I knew his time would come but I never expected that choking on his dinner would be what killed him.

Thanks everyone so much :) Now that I know what can happen to bunnies after choking I think I'll get treatment straight away next time.

Latest posts

Back