URGENT: Help needed!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DottyRabbit

Reaction score
I just went out to poo pick the horses paddock and found a baby bunny - must be around 3 weeks old - just sitting there not moving. I noticed his back end looked a bit soggy and there are so many foxes around me that I had to move him. It turns out he's got fly strike - there are eggs are the area and maggots crawling around. I've cut off all the eggs as far as I can see and removed as many maggots and cleaned the area as well as I can. The area is all swollen and sore, and there was a blockage of droppings. When I was cleaning the area the poor little thing was so scared that it all unclogged and a lot of droppings came out - the first bit was a harder texture and the rest was very runny and loose.

What can I do to help the little guy?! :( I don't think he's going to make it but I've done the best I can so far, and also syringed him some water. I've got my own bunnies pelleted food and hay as well as greens etc, what should I do?! He's too shocked to eat anything. There are no vets open as it's a sunday!!

I have hibiscrub and purple spray that I use on the horses. Are these safe for bunnies to clean the area thoroughly?! I've also got some antibiotics (septrin) left over from my girls abscess.

Thanks for your help!

ah the poor little guy. He most likely won't make it. at three weeks of age he won't have the fortitude or mass to survive flystrike. You should euthanize him to prevent further suffering.

Sorry about the little bun. It can be hard when we aren't able to help. I would suggest thoroughly cleaning your hands and anything it touched. Because it had runny poop, it sounds like he posssibly could have had something contagious, that you don't want being passed to your rabbit(s).

Latest posts

Back