Urgent Dog Questions..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trixiesowner

Reaction score
Ok, I have two dog questions..

1) I bought my dog, Sage, his first "Pig's ear" today. HE LOVES IT!However, when he picks it up and starts walking around he startswhimpering loudly. This has happened alot of different times when hewas in different rooms and holding it in different ways. What might bethe cause of this?

2) When a dog licks you is it for affection or dominence?

Thank you :)

ALSO: Trixie's doing great :D

Well while I'm not totally sure why he maybewhimpering. I do know that my dog has a habit of doing that when wegive her a new bone. It starts as soon as she sees it and she'll do itthe whole time she's chewing on it, I'm not sure why she does it. I'vejust always thought she was happy about it and trying to vocalize that.Not to sure on the licking either but Dakota does it 24/7 much to mydisapproval cause she covers the poor baby. She's a funny dogthough...example when someone new comes to the house she goes at themwith tongue hanging out and wagging her whole backend...not her tailher whole butt. She's weird but I love her to death!

I think I can offer some help on this one as Ihave a lot more experience with dogs than bunniesactually. Most likely the wimpering is more of apleasure sound than anything. Some dogs will do that whenthey are just so excited about something they aren't sure what else todo with themselves. The only thing I would check if you areconcerned that it may be something other than that is to make sure histeeth are in good condition. Sometimes a gum infection and/orloose teeth will make chewing on hard stuff hurt, and they won't alwaysstop chewing just because of the pain. If you think that maybe it have your vet take a look and depending on age and condition ofteeth they may recomend bringing him in for a teethcleaning(which isn't a bad idea every couple of years fordogs anyhow).

As for the other question is definitely NOT a sign ofdominance. In fact, most times if you observe dogs in a packthe dog on the lower rung of the ladder is the one that will eitherlick or make licking motions toward the Alpha's in the group.Some people feel the licking is primarily from affection, and a way toshow they respect your position of authority. Some dogsthough just really like the salty "flavor" people naturally have andwill lick you to get that taste. Most of the time you cantell the difference between the two types of lick. If it's ahappy "I love you" kind of lick, most likely it is accompanied byfrenzied tail (and/or butt) wags. The "I love the way youtaste" lick is more deliberate... andthey'll make sure theycover every inch of you as long as you allow them. Hope thishelps you out some.... and btw, most of this is just opinion based onobserving my dogs.

-Cheryl

Yes, Cheryl, I think you hit the nail right on the head.

~M

Thanks a bunch!
I checked his teeth, great condition. He doesn't whimper when he'schewing on something just when he's walking around with this certainitem. And ONLY this item. Very strange but it's cute. :):D:shock:

As I am typing my 5 dogs + my pups(I am abreeder)are with me.I would agree with Cheryl about the wimpering.Mostpeople say thatwhen a dog licks you they are kissingyou.Personally I think they areshowing you affection.

diamond:D

Latest posts

Back