ur post, makes up an important decision

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight01

Reaction score
hey, ive done everything people have psoted,giving him treats, egtting down to his level, liek i said beforeiwanted to get closer to my rabbit, he wont let me hold him and i canunderstand that, but last night, i went to put somthing in his cage,and he almost took my finger off, toalk about territorial:?. i lovemidnight so much, and i said before in posts that i dont want to gethim neutered, since i want him to have babies, but whats the point inhaving a rabbit that u cant get close to. what other choices do i have,i mean if i get him neutered, yes he will be calmer, but he wont havethe fun of having a female rabbit and cherishing the feeling of being aparent, and i want him to have babies, so the good thing about notgetting him neutered, is that he wil get to have babies, the bad thingis that he wont let me pet him too often and i wont be able to be closeto him and i dont think he will be as happy as he was, getting himneutered, the good thing about that, is that he will be calm, yet hewont be able to have babies,. everyone, i need ur help, should i gethim neutered, or not? is there anything else i can do to get closer tohim, with my heart, please help? thank you so much for tkaing your timeto read my post.

Mia is axactly like that, shes kinda chiling outright now do, but besides that she will never let you pick her up,never kisses you, and scratches alot but every time I clean her cageshe tends to give me a kiss or two :p Try waitingfor about 1-2 months and see if he still stays the same way, then Iwould sujest thinking about neutering him

Animals don't care if they mate with otheranimals, while they are "intact" they just have the natural urge. It'simportant that you neuter him, there are too many unwanted buns outthere, by having a litter just to have one may be fun and interesting,can you provide the care and homes? What use, other than a pet, wouldthese kits have? Are some important questions to ask yourself.

Ellie

Midnight you really should get him nuetered, Itsbetter for him and if you did breed him he wouldnt be able to see hiskids anyway because he would kill him, If you only want him so you canbreed him once and then be done with it then maybe you should findhima home with someone who will get him nuetered. JMO. E-mailme and we can talk more.;)

k ;), but i want him spo i cant share my lovewith an animal and cherish the bond..in other words i love em lol, ok,im gonna get him neutered, its for the best, thanks everybody

Baby bunnies are a lot of work...and there aresoo many bunnies up for adoption because people can't provide them withthe proper love and attention they need. Also, most peoplearen't going to want a baby bunny coming from a daddy rabbit that isabiter and hard to hold...My netherland dwarf darted for yourhand as soon as you placed it in the cage...but as soon as I got himout he was very loving, but still none of my family/friends ever wantedto play with him simply because of this...but I kept working with himand he got much better...so give ur bun some time,butregardless I don't recommend breeding...

Midnight01 wrote:
i mean if i get him neutered, yes he will be calmer, but hewont have the fun of having a female rabbit and cherishing the feelingof being a parent
When I was much younger, I had rabbits that I allowed tobreed. Well, I didn't try to breed them - they justdid. You know what I remember?

They didn't "cherish the feeling" of being a parent. Therewere just more mouths to feed and others to fight over. Myyoung bucks later fought with their father (over their mother andsisters).

I don't remember how long you've had your bunny but I would do two things:

a. Definitely give him at least a month to get used toyou. I have two Netherland Dwarfs that I lovedearly. But - they don't like to be petted or picked up(yet). I'm in the process of training them and building theirtrust by laying on the floor with them and letting them come to me fortreats, etc. I've had them almost three weeks and I'm hopingthat by July or August they'll be comfortable coming to me and beingheld. But it's going to take time.

b. NEUTER your pet. I was a backyard breeder as akid...I admit it. I didn't know what I was doing - I didn'treally mean to breed...when my first rabbit ran away, we got a secondone - only to have the first one returned to us.

Mixed breed rabbits are so hard to find homes for. Sheltersare filling up with them daily - rescue organizations put out calls allthe time for foster homes.

Neutering your pet helps keep it healthy - I understand males can gettesticular cancer and females can get cancer too. I trulybelieve that a neutered pet will live longer because they no longerhave as much risk for those cancers.

Loving your rabbit means you do what is best for it....not what youwant for yourself. Yes, its fun to have bunnies....for us ashumans. But unless you're planning on responsiblybreeding purebred rabbits...I'd recommend neutering.

If I were you I would definately get your bunnyneutered as its whats best for both of you. There are so manyunwanted babies out there that there is little point in having morewhen you can adopt one of them and give them a chance at a decentlife. When I got my first bunny I wanted to have babies toobut realized that was a selfish need and since then have adopted 3 morewonderful bunnies that I love so much. At this point 3 of my4 are spayed or neutered and as soon as the 4th is old enough she willbe spayed also.

First of all malerabbits do not have babies , the femaledoes, after that the inital breeding themale holds no further role inrearing the babies , as a matter of fact the motherwill Kill the babies if the fatheris present and if shedoesnt HE will ,

As kindly as i can put this ,please have him neuterd its better forhim and for you , he will no longer beterritorial , he wont bite,scratch or just plainbe grumpy, Having 2rabbits and letting them have babiesbecause you want to to experience thejoys of perenthood is a poorexcuse . Right now i have 30 babies because somonethought they were doing the rabbits a favor

i say neuter the male Spay the female.

Hi, is there any way that I can make a breedingpair be nice to me? I mean I have 2 purebred mini-rexes and they bothhate me... My guy is better than my female. I have had leo since he was3 months old and he is 6 months old now. And I have had my female forabout 2 months. My female is really mean and won't let me get near her.But my male will let me hold him for a little while and then he flipsout! I am going to get Copper fixed but when can you get him fixed (Imean how soon)? He is 5 1/2 weeks and really nice and since he isn't apurebred lop or mini-rex I am going to have one pet and one breedingpair!

I think you really need to get Midnightneutered. If you want a rabbit that is going to be more friendly and abetter companion that please go ahead and do it. I know it's sad whenhe acts like that. Neutering would really help.

Please don't breed him. There are so many little babies thatneed homes. Gypsy has what 30 babies that needs home. Raabbits sherescued were bred and all had their babiesafter she saved them. A fewactually passed away and it was really sad.

Plus nuetering is supposeed to reduce the risk of testicular cancer.

Tina

Even though you want baby bun's, I don't thinkthis is the right male to use for breeding purposes, his bad attitudewill get passed on to the babies, and then you're back to square one.There are unaltered males out there with much better dispositions thatwould be better for breeding.

As for breeding itself, it is very difficult. You should educateyourself thoroughly before making that decision. It's not something tobe taken lightly. Many times you're forced to make unbearably harddecisions and witness things that will haunt you forever. I always feelbreeding is best left to those who have a true passion for betteringthe breed. I would never recommend having a baby just to witness themiracle of life. If that's what you want, I'm sure there's a breeder inthe area that would welcome your help in caring for their bun's and youwould be able to witness the miracle of life that way.

Animal shelters are another great place to donate your time. They oftenneed volunteers to help bottle feed young animals that are too young tobe adopted. You must be trained before doing it.

Good luck with you bun!

Megan

Ya it can be really hard, my first timedoe had her babies two weeks ago and didnt have them in her nest box,she had them ALL around the cage. Now I have to force her to feed thebabies...my schedule goes something like this (EVERY DAY, TWICE A DAY)

Wake up 7 AM (We start school at 8:30 and I usually get up at 8 but because I have to feed them I wake up and hour early)

7-7:30 have breakfast, take shower, go on computer for like 5 minutes
7:30-8:25

1,) Check over babies

2,) Go and get Fae who likes to put up a huge fight

3,) Feed babies one at a time because Fae has irritated mammary glandsand has thrown the babies off, thats why I can only do one at a time,because I cant pick all of them up.

4,) Put Vitamin E on Fae *Kick Kick Scratch*

5,) Put Fae back in her cage

6,) Come back up and prepare for the washing!

7,) Wipe all the babies and wait for them to pee (sometimes it takes like 5 minutes)

8,) Clean up and put babies back in their basket

Wow 8:25 has just arrived and now its school time

Repeat process at 8pm for all the babies.

I don't get me wrong I LOVE the babies to DEATH and would do this 8times a day to keep them alive if I had too, but this is a VERY tiringprocess.

~Amy

P.S Here is the link to the topic I created and all the fun stuff that happend with the babies :p

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6320&forum_id=1

Also, keep in mind that most rabbits do not likebeing held or picked up. Period. No matter what you do or try to dowith them, they hate it. It can have detrimental effects, such as themrunning away from you out of fear of being picked up. I learned thehard way with my Abby when she was a baby. I had read that you cantrain a rabbit to be held, but I think most of them just plain hate it.It took me a long time to regain her trust after trying to hold her andcuddle her all the time.

That said, get your rabbit neutered. He won't give a flip about being aparent and it'll only add to the over population of rabbits.

Midnight01 wrote:
everyone, i need ur help, should i get him neutered, or not?is there anything else i can do to get closer to him, with my heart,please help? thank you so much for tkaing your time to read mypost.
My sisters rabbit Kitty was exactly the same, he wastemperamental and would bite if you picked him up or stroked him at thewrong time. Mushrooms, my rabbit, is the totalopposite. Neither Kitty nor Mushrooms has been neutered(sadly, Kitty died) and I have no intention of getting Mushrooms done,he doesn't smell or spray, he doesn't bite and isn't at alltemperamental (unless you call throwing newspaper aroundratty?). He also won't come into contact with any otherrabbits, so there is little need to do it.

But I think when it gets to the point of it disrupting both your lifeand relationship with your pet, then you have to think of what's bestfor everyone, all around. I know you want to breed your pet but surelythe kits will have the same or a similar personality? And might end upjust as temperamental or unsocial as the one you have now!

I don't want to be a downer of it for you, it's your decision. But Ithink if it was me, I would neuter Mushrooms if he got too much tohandle. If you have a biting, scratching, unfriendlyrabbit- it can't be a very enjoyable pet, surely?

I'm sure things will work out! :D GOOD LUCK!!

I have had a heck of a time separating my male& female (brother & sister) to keep them frombreeding. As much as I'd LOVE to have a litter, it's not thebest thing to do. (I HATE to say this!!) I wouldfear my kits would become some large snake'sdinner. Like everyone has said, it is hard to findresponsible rabbit owners. Rabbit owners that trulyunderstand a rabbit is a part of the family, not a pet to be housed atthe end of the garden in a hutch all day.

Speaking of NOT breeding...how long is recovery time on aspay? Neuter?? My buns appointment is coming up:shock:

P.S. Justin, did you get Midnight his toys?? Does he love it??

When our female was spayed she had to go in at 10days to have the staples removed and after that we were allowed tostart introducing the two buns.

Megan

Latest posts

Back