Upset, Painful Tummy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
My poor little Kerensa doesn't feel good :(

Background: Kerensa just turned 2 a couple months ago and is a spayed Holland Lop female. She basically has no medical history as she has been as healthy as a bunny can be up until now.

This morning at 5 am I was asleep when my husband came into the room, flipped on the lights, and said urgently, "Kerensa is sick!" That's one way to wake a bunny mom up quickly. I literally ran downstairs to her to find her in her litter box, sprawled out on her tummy like bunnies do when their tummies hurt (Rory does this when his hurts, too). She had just been fed but ignored it completely, which has never, ever happened before as she usually freaks out over being fed. I picked her up and checked her over and she looked normal. Tummy even felt normal and she wasn't too opposed to me touching it. I cleaned her litter box on Friday and she has been pooping and peeing normally. Gave her a treat and she scarfed it down. Gave her a big handful of hay and went back to bed since I could see she wasn't at death's door or anything, though of course I was worried and imagining emergency vet visits since the regular vet isn't open until Tuesday.

Just got up and checked on her (at 10 am so 5 hours later). She's sprawled on her tummy again. Now she has eaten almost all of her food and some of the hay. Her tummy DEFINITELY feels full and firm now. Even if she wasn't acting oddly, I would have noticed. And it's very painful for her- she barely wants to be petted and runs away if I touch her belly at all. She very much did not want to be picked up but I did it anyway so I could gently touch her belly. Rory is known for having hairball issues and he doesn't react this badly to having his stomach touched even then.

I noticed something might be up yesterday. She took slightly longer than normal to eat her pellets, and at one point she was sitting next to her litter box with her paws on the side and her paws slid off rather suddenly, startling her a bit. She's a clumsy bunny and I went over to check on her but nothing seemed amiss. She was acting normally other than that.

The only changes in her life have been in the food department. It has been unbelievably crazy around here lately and we ran out of our regular bunny food last Sunday night and can only get to the feed store on the weekend because of the hours they're open. Bad, I know, but if you knew what we've been dealing with... We've been feeding them the food they used to get, which is Zupreem Nature's Promise timothy pellets. None of them have shown any signs of tummy troubles until now. Don't know if that would cause issues almost a week later, but it seems relevant.

So, that's what's up with my little girl. My plan of action right now is to feed her lots of hay and make sure she gets lots of exercise. If she's still acting like her tum hurts on Tuesday morning, I will schedule a vet appointment for ASAP.

I am going to the feed store to get pellets in a little while. Should I keep her on the current pellets that may be adding to her tummy pains, switch her to the ones she's used to, or do a mix?

Okay, I remembered the vet office is actually open on Sundays. Called and she has an appointment for 2 pm! Unfortunately, the vet she will be seeing has basically 0 bunny experience. They have her on the list as seeing bunnies, but we took Ned to see her 3 years ago when he was yanking on his neuter stitches and she said she doesn't do bunnies. The lady on the phone couldn't tell me whether or not she got more training since then. However, our regular vet WILL be there today (she is the owner of the clinic) and the lady on the phone said that the vet can confer with the bunny expert if she has any questions about Kerensa.

Let's hope everything goes well! Sudden tummy issues are very scary, they bring me back to my sweet Tallulah who had lifelong tummy issues and died from them. I actually typed Tallulah instead of Kerensa in the previous paragraph...

Sending prayers and hugs to you and Kerensa :pray:

Going through similar issues with my Freckles at the moment.

Well, we just got home from the vet with my little muffin. Unfortunately, the vet didn't really know what to do. She confirmed that Kerensa's belly is full (I could tell that!) and wanted to give her subcutaneous fluids, antibiotics, and metaclopramide. I didn't think she needs sub q fluids since she's drinking a lot and it can be harmful if given unnecessarily, didn't want to give her antibiotics because she doesn't have a bacterial infection (vet said it was in case the food in her belly decomposes, I have never ever had a vet give antibiotics for a slow moving gut) and it could kill off beneficial bacteria in her intestines that help her digest, and I didn't want to give her metaclopramide because it can be painful and harmful and risk causing her intestines to rupture. The vet took Kerensa away to go see our regular vet in the back and when she came back, she had given her fluids. So that was done. I requested X rays and we had those done (didn't show anything other than a distended belly full of food), and I requested Metacam to help with her pain, so we got that. All in all, we don't know what's causing her problem. The plan is to just... watch her. Feed her lots of hay, make sure she gets exercise, give her Metacam, and hope it passes!!

No gas on the radiographs? With those symptoms I'd probably start with pain meds and simethicone (simethicone can't hurt but can help) but if there really is no gas then there's no real reason to do the simethicone.

Christina, there was a little bit of gas, but the vet said it was nothing unusual. The only thing she's being treated with now is Metacam. She's getting lots of hay and out of cage time too to help.

Yeah, it was just a thought (and I'm sure one you'd already considered). Admittedly with buns I almost feel like as long as they're eating they're okay so it sounds to me like you're doing everything right.
I know how tough it is to see them in pain.

Well, I'm happy to report that my baby is starting to feel better. Her tummy is not as full and she is eating enthusiastically again. I am feeding her the same amount but broken up into more frequent and smaller feedings. Her tummy is still a bit tender. Hopefully she is on the mend!

Ripley's been doing similar things and I've been giving him simethicone which helps temporarily but he keeps giong back to square one.

Latest posts

Back