Upper respiratory infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthomas

Reaction score
Flash is a 3yr old mini-Rex/ New Zealand albino mix about 6lbs. She started sneezing Aug. 8, 2012. She saw the vet Aug. 16 after developing a cough like a cat hacking up a fur ball. She completed 10 days of SMZ antibiotic and was fine for 3days. Vet put her back on SMZ for 10days. again fine until 3days after completion of meds. Vet went on vacation so she was off meds for 7days. He then started her on Baytril, 7days in she was still coughing and sneezing so he added Prednisone. Since starting the Prednisone she has not gotten better nor worse. She has now finished 21 days of Baytril and I must call the vet tomorrow. She has never had any green or yellow discharge but started this with a very small amount of clear fluid from her nose that has stopped since the 3erd day of her first course of antibiotics.
Knowing there is a limited amount of medication a rabbit can take, I would like someone's opinion other than mine. On SMZ was the only time she didn't have any symptoms, but it did come back I think she should go on the SMZ for a longer amount of time than just 10days. Or should we send a culture to determine what will work? Is there any other antibiotics that are safe for her?
I have heard of some rabbits needing meds for life which would be fine with us if it made her feel better. She is a little more cuddly since she got sick but has been eating just fine this whole time and her poop is normal. Any input would be appreciated.

I've got no experience with respiratory infections, so unfortunately I can't offer any advice... I really hope you find a solution that works for your little bunn, though! :pray:

I'd absolutely see another vet. Any vet who would give a rabbit Prednizone is flat out incompetent.

SMZ I think often seems to see the infection come back when it stops. And Baytril has built up quite a resistance and may not be the drug for that problem.

I've had good luck with Chloramphenicol. They have to stay on the antibiotics for weeks after they stop showing symptoms.

The Prednizone has probably at least somewhat compromised her ability to fight the infection, you're going to have to watch her like a hawk.

sas :pray:

PS: I've got a couple of rabbits who start sneezing and wheezing whenever they're stressed, eg: even when they don't get their salads, and I manage it with holistic care and not meds. The holistic care is so important -- a wide variety of greens, herbs and other produce, a little fruit, tons of good hay, comfortable surroundings, exercise... Makes all the difference.

sas :bunnydance:

I do agree about SMZ and Baytril.

None of my snuffle buns ever responded to Baytril, and SMZ seemed to work until they went off it (at which time it came back twice as bad!)

you might want to consider a chest radiograph to help rule out infection down there, too... if abnormal, your rabbit may need to stay on antibiotics for an extended period (months possibly). And long term antibiotics may be needed anyway.

Prednisolone does make me very nervous in rabbits and I would be very careful about its use. There are normally very few reasons to use this medication in rabbits.

Pipp wrote:
I'd absolutely see another vet. Any vet who would give a rabbit Prednizone is flat out incompetent.

SMZ I think often seems to see the infection come back when it stops. And Baytril has built up quite a resistance and may not be the drug for that problem.

I've had good luck with Chloramphenicol. They have to stay on the antibiotics for weeks after they stop showing symptoms.

The Prednizone has probably at least somewhat compromised her ability to fight the infection, you're going to have to watch her like a hawk.

sas :pray:
---horray for pipp!!--yes,this problem uri-or--pasturella---,antibiotic-(chloramphenicol)-is what i have been using,--this needs to get under control quickly,--please understand that probiotics must be given with any antibiotics,-being a herbivore the gi tract will suffer thusly digestion of grasses,etc---this distress can trigger other nasty developements---probotics can be purchased from a farm supply store,-please keep us informed--sincerely james waller:big wink:

Thank you for all the advice. She is on - Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim 2x a day and 2.5mg prednisone once a day now. she is less congested. fever is gone (was 103)she has been on this now 4days. I am calling Vet on Monday and I will go to the feed store and ask for probotics.
We keep her very close. I am mostly in my bed room with her all day and my son sleeps with her at night.(My son is 20 and it is so cute cuz he looks like he is sleeping with a stuffed toy like he did when he was 4)
in one of the forums someone mentioned vitamin C powder and goldenseal but no dosage amounts. anyone have feelings or knowledge of these? again Thanks I feel like we will get through this together. oh she eats her pellets good and about 4 cups of fresh carrots and kale a day and 2TBS of oatmeal for treat after meds.or some dried pineapple.

so she has infection in her lungs but almost all sneezing has stopped. I am going to ask the vet to do a culture to see what will kill this infection once and for all. wish us luck:big wink:

Latest posts

Back