Updates on Emmy's nail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmy-webby

Reaction score
To keep you guys posted about Emmy's nail..

We cut the nail off..the nail abovethe quick of course. The nail is STILL bent to the right. Will it everheal? I think she may have messed up the quick of her nail because it'sreally red stained with blood. Every time we try observing it under alight she doesn't seem to mind. Right now the nail is bend up to theright..it really looks painful. Is a vet recommended?:?

If you think she is in pain, I would recommend avet. Sorry, I do not have much experience with nail problems, so I hopesomeone a little more knowledgable on this subject can help you. :?

~Nichole

Poor girl seems to have hurt her nail clear into the nailbed :(

Too bad they chew so much. If it were my dog or cat I mightput a wrap on it until it healed,... but bunnies are boogers so wecan't do that!

Try sending a pm to Gabby and see what she thinks..... she works for vets.

bathe it in warm salty water, dry firstand then put a dab of wound powder on it it works wonders

Your making progress.

So is there still part of the nail attached to the cuticle?

If there's a chance that the nail could get caught on something, Iwould plan to visit the vet. I would be worried about further injuryand/or infection.

Our S'more bunnie ripped a nail completely off when she was digging atthe carpet. It bled pretty bad, but eventually the nail grew back andseems normal.

My daughter just recently cut our Moo Shu's nails and accidentally cutthe quick on one. It bled really bad. She used flour to stop the flow,however she kinda panicked and ended up putting the entire bun foot inthe flour. I was upset at first because it was very difficult to cleanit all off. Looking back it was kinda funny. Moo Shuu ...a black/greybun...one foot now all white...looks at her foot...looks at me...looksback at her foot. She really was good thru the whole thing and didn'tseem to be bothered afterward.

Keep us posted.

Jim

that would be quite funny lol

my neighbour cut the quick and came round to ma house. she was almostin tears and was paniking because there was so much blood i justlaughed and said leave the rabbit in the hutch it should be ok

Hello. Ok. But I do thinkit is dead already? Could a rabbit's quick be dead? Hmm. I do tend towash it once in a while so it won't be infected and put alittle flourin her quick/nail so there can't be any bleeding. There is still leftover nail, but I do think it will grow back. Right now the quick isreddish from the blood stain... but I'm not sure why it is black.:?I'm more worried about her than the vet, but I really thinkI should bring her to the vet. But the only problem is that my momdoesn't want to take her to the vet because she says that it costs toomuch money. I told her that I can pay for one vet check-up with myallowence and christmas money, but she won't listen. ( Do you think ifI call the vet and ask about her nail? ) I'll keep more updates.

Katy, Trina, and Emmy.

Oh.... and I forgotto include in the last post I did was that Katy and I will try to takepictures of Emmy's nail in my big sister's webcam ifwe can so you guyscan see an actual view with what we are dealing with. I realy reallyhope that the quick will be normal sooner or later. I don't want myEmmy to be in pain all the time. She doesn't mind when I clean/rinse itwith water and put flour on her quick. Is that sign of good or bad?:?

Katy, Trina and Emmy.

Trina wrote:
Oh.... and I forgot to includein the last post I did was that Katy and I will try to take pictures ofEmmy's nail in my big sister's webcam ifwe can so you guys can see anactual view with what we are dealing with. I realy really hope that thequick will be normal sooner or later. I don't want my Emmy to be inpain all the time. She doesn't mind when I clean/rinse it with waterand put flour on her quick. Is that sign of good or bad?:?

Katy, Trina and Emmy.

We only cleaned our buns injury on the following day. The bleeding hadstopped so we didn't use any more flour or "QuikStop". We only appliedtribac and kept a close eye for infection. Neither one of the bunsseemed to be bothered when we handled the injured foot. I think theycould tell we were trying to make good on our bad.

S'more is actually missing a toe. She was like that when we rescued herfrom the shelter. It never seems to affect her in any way. Her brokennail grew back normal.

So, if the bleeding has stopped I would not use any more flour. Usesome tribac to help prevent infection. Neosporin I think is ok, butcheck with a vet or one of our forum experts before using.

If the bleeding hasn't stopped after the first day I would plan to visit the vet.

Jim

Latest posts

Back