update

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmtangelkrystal

Reaction score
i would like to say first of all, that i am sorry to those who were posting in my forum post yesterday. you will be pleased to know, i did not take them to school and i'm going to let them back with mom. i plan to go to the store tonight to pick up soft material for them an mom so there will be no scare next time. I'm sorry i was so thick headed, i was just scared and over protective. i hope you will forgive my ignorance, I'm territorial with my animals, especially babies.

as for the update, i came home and not both babies have their eyes open some. i'm so excited.

for an art project that will be entered in the art show, i am taking photo's of the babies outside and with flowers to surround them. i have until may fifth, it will of coarse be warm and dry out when i do so and i will post them <3

i do plan to handle them the same but they will be with mom instead of in my room. tonight will be their last night with me. i have to get their mama situated with the new bedding and get the nest moved into a safer spot. i got so scared today at school and i felt awful, I'm sorry you guys had to tell me so many times, your right, they need mom.

i tried a box in the cage last night to see what she would do and she tore it to bits. i do have a nesting box and i was thinking about putting the babies in there and have her out of the tub so she could roam and then return to the little ones. i may still do so but i'm partially affraid she will go back to the box rather than to the kits. if you have any advice in this i would, like to hear it.

when they are two weeks exactly, i read they would nibble on dry food, i was wanting to know what i could buy that would be a little better and softer start for them. i plan on getting treats and maybe some other goodies for Missy for being such a trooper. if i were in her paws, i would hate me so much every time the babies would be sat in the box i would attack myself.

as for toys, is there anything special they like to toy around with from this age up? i can only get so much i need an idea so i may do my best to stock up. so recommendations are wanted.

thanks a ton guys

kmtangelkrystal wrote:
i would like to say first of all, that i am sorry to those who were posting in my forum post yesterday. you will be pleased to know, i did not take them to school and i'm going to let them back with mom. i plan to go to the store tonight to pick up soft material for them an mom so there will be no scare next time. I'm sorry i was so thick headed, i was just scared and over protective. i hope you will forgive my ignorance, I'm territorial with my animals, especially babies.

as for the update, i came home and not both babies have their eyes open some. i'm so excited.

for an art project that will be entered in the art show, i am taking photo's of the babies outside and with flowers to surround them. i have until may fifth, it will of coarse be warm and dry out when i do so and i will post them <3

i do plan to handle them the same but they will be with mom instead of in my room. tonight will be their last night with me. i have to get their mama situated with the new bedding and get the nest moved into a safer spot. i got so scared today at school and i felt awful, I'm sorry you guys had to tell me so many times, your right, they need mom.

i tried a box in the cage last night to see what she would do and she tore it to bits. i do have a nesting box and i was thinking about putting the babies in there and have her out of the tub so she could roam and then return to the little ones. i may still do so but i'm partially affraid she will go back to the box rather than to the kits. if you have any advice in this i would, like to hear it.

when they are two weeks exactly, i read they would nibble on dry food, i was wanting to know what i could buy that would be a little better and softer start for them. i plan on getting treats and maybe some other goodies for Missy for being such a trooper. if i were in her paws, i would hate me so much every time the babies would be sat in the box i would attack myself.

as for toys, is there anything special they like to toy around with from this age up? i can only get so much i need an idea so i may do my best to stock up. so recommendations are wanted.

thanks a ton guys
I'm sorry for having to be so rude yesterday. It's frustrating when people aren't listening, and then once we started fighting, it got out of hand. Hopefully today can be a new day, and we can both be respectful.

Be quick with the pictures. Until they're at the point where they're actively out of the nest box, it's very easy for them to get chilled. Make sure there's no dew or anything when you bring them out. Don't let them nibble on anything, I have a feeling their stomach isn't ready for that yet.

It's a rough situation with them being so old, and trying to give them back to mama. At this point, you'll have to be careful to make sure she'll still be taking care of them. You'll have to make a nest in the nextbox for them. It's the best thing, since they're basically indestructable. I can't decide if they should go back in the cage or not. There's always the chance of her not liking it, and killing them. Or she could resume the mother's role. Hopefully someone else who's been in that situation will be able to help.

Don't switch the diet that the kits will be eating. They'll be eating what the mom will be eating, and that's probably better on everyone's stomachs to not switch everything. Don't feed oats or veggies or anything. Hay and mom's milk will be the basis of their meals for a while more. Mom will decide when she feeds them, which is sorta the basis of weaning.

My babies like those woven balls, with bells inside. Just make sure that they don't rip it open and get the bells. Not good for their teeth. The other huge favorite was a flipped over shoe box, sometimes with a small hole cut in the side. They loved playing on it, in it, and chewing holes in it.

Err. That's most of what I can think of. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

thanks, and ya, I'm sorry as well. i went out to the story a few minutes ago and got the balled up newspaper bedding and some assorted hay for them.. i read and it said it was safe for the kits.

i got Missy some treats and some play things that will work for the babies too. i figured she could use some pampering.

as for me letting the babies stay with her, do you think i should try leaving them with her for a fixated time or no?
i hope i didn't screw up.. she's been feeding them fine and she got the nest built back up so that's a good sign.

oh right, something else. i am going to my cousins this weekend and being as i can't be home to supervise i was thinking about taking missy and the babies with me. cody has no sense of time or day so he won't be a good care taker. lol do you think i should take kmr just in case she won't feed them?

i'm sure she will but should i just in case?

i will be gone tomorrow night, Saturday and most of Sunday.
i just wanna be sure the kits get fed. missy has been feeding them but, by the off chance she won't then i just need a good backup.

There's really not much you can do if she's feeding them. As long as she's been feeding them, leave them alone, she'll do what needs done. I remember my first litter..I was out checking every 10 minutes to make sure everyone was okay..but I learned that momma knows what she's doing. Just let nature take it's course. :D Good luck!

If she's been feeding them up to this point, chances are she won't stop. Just have whomever is there that will be feeding and caring for your bunnies check in on them once a day and make sure everyone is alive and well. Other than the once a day check, they'll be fine without you for a few days.

kk, well just in case you don't know the case, i've had the babies the last five days in my room and mom feeds them, which is why i've decided to bring her along. i don't want to make them eat kmr when mom is ok with feeding them.. i know i could make her sit and feed them but i don't want to stress her out.

i got overprotective so she has two hours with them in the nest .. sorry i didn't want you confused

As long as she's been feeding them, try to refrain from hand feeding. If she's rebuilt the nest, chances are she's planning to take care of them..like I said, just check for full bellies daily..you'll probably never see her feed them..I've only seen a doe feed her kits maybe three times the whole time I've had rabbits. Just try to trust in her instincts..I know it's hard, but it will pay off and you'll have much happier bunnies.

Oh.......then I don't know. I've never taken a doe away from kits..I guess that all depends on you. If you think she'll be okay with them constantly (which I do)..I'd stick them all together and let her be a momma. If you're still convinced they should be allowed to be with her, then yeah, it's probably best you take her with you if noone else is there to put the babies with her..or else they won't get fed.

kk i just feel bad for separating them.. i just spazed after the runt died.... sucked.. i cried all day

well if i decide to breed her again i will be well perepard.. that and she will have the right stuff

Even if you do make sure she has everything she needs..you still may lose kits..I've lost kits...and I keep amazing track of due dates and make sure that they have everything they need..it's just nature..it'll happen eventually.

Please let the momma take care of her babies! I heard that you dont want to handle them alot for the few weeks of life. Just once to check on them but thats all. The mother is a great mother and she is doing the best she can if you let her be with the babies. I know that you have put the babies back with her. But leave them be and let momma take care of them the way she wants to unless they dont eat.

My babies are 5 days old. The babies are left in the nesting box in the cage all day long. I go in there in the morning for a checkup on feeding bellies. But I dont handle them after that. They are little and I let momma be a mother to her babies.

"If she's been feeding them up to this point, chances are she won't stop."

I had a doe that starved her babies. Come day 16 the babies where always dead, starved. More than one litter, too. The babies should stayy with mom and just be checked to make sure they feed. Some feed of the night, some of the morning.

Neena's babies stay with her of the night and in their own cage of the day(special currcumstances) and although they are with her from roughly 9 PM until 11 AM or so she does not feed them until around 7 AM.

Not everything should be done "by the book" though. Although one thing, and a 100 people, may tell you to do one thing your mind might tell another. If you know everything and hear all sides and still feel you should do the opposite then go with your gut. Just be ready to take what happens - no matter what.

well she's been good to them.. i planned on putting them with her this morning but it rained and it felt too cold for them. so i brought them back inside. my bf said if something happens to the little ones while i'm gone it was on me and he wouldn't do anything but run me into the ground, so i'm leaveing them with him..becides. i forgot they got new puppies. so he's right. its not right to take them... ill still worry about them. i'm getting the cage set up after school then going to my cousins.

and i agree.. she'll do fine. she didn't hurt them the hour they were with her this morning.. i just wanna make the box clean for them.

Latest posts

Back