update on woody like product

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
I bought a product called Gaurdian cause icouldnt go all the way to the closest woody pet dealer. Its prettygood. I couldnt be much happier with it.. Luv andRoger havent gave me any trouble about it.. Cause its so muchcheaper. A 40 lb bag for 5.50 i dont have to worry aboutmoney and keep it cleaner than i was with crittercare. My husband says he dont smell bunniesanymore. Not that that it ever smelled reallybad.

Has anyone used the wood pellets for cats in their litterbox? It would probably be cheaper then kitty litter and maybemake it not smell like kitty litter box either.

Cristy

I have used a paper based litter before. It wasfantastic. I couldn't smell the litter as before there was a slightsmell (always the day I changed it). At the moment I use aCat litter type that is also ok for the buns.

I don't know if we have a woody type litter here, I must look the next time i'm in the petstore.

I got mine at the feedstore. I askedabout woody pet if they ever heard of it and they had but said whatthey carry is Gaurdian.. He said they thought it was better than woodybut since i havent used both i wont say if its better orworse. I know its better than carefresh or thecritterfresh i been using and smells less like bunnies and take myexpensive on bunnies prettylow. I might have to add alittle of the wood pellets to thier littter and see what happens forthe kittys

Cristy

The woody type litter that I am buying for myrabbits is actually made for cats! I think the cats will be fine withit. If they are finicky (sp?) then changing it slowly mightbe the best way.

Jay

Guardian is one of the few manufacturers of woodpellets that are similar to Woody Pet. I don't know about it being anybetter, though.

PetSmart has(d) a pine pellet based litter I used to use prior to my purchasing WoodyPet.If memory serves me correctly, it is (was) called Exquisi Cat Litter and sold for $7.99 per 20 lb bag. Expensive, but worked well, if not as well as WoodyPet.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
PetSmart has(d) a pine pellet based litter I used to useprior to my purchasing WoodyPet. If memory serves mecorrectly, it is(was) called ExquisiCat Litter and sold for $7.99 per20 lb bag. Expensive, but worked well, if not as well asWoodyPet.

Buck
Hiya, Buck!! How are you doing ??

Last time I went to PetSmart I saw that KayTee makes a wood pelletlitter/bedding, too. They show it as costing $4.99 for 8 lbs on thewebsite. I'm sure I saw larger bags of it, but didn't check the price.

~Jim

I don't even bother checking for litternow. My first bag of WoodyPet lasted me 3 1/2months. I just started my secondbag. I still have 8 bags in the basement.:p

Rainbows! :D

Cristy, you may want to try Wal Mart for SpecialKitty litter in the red bag. It's only $1.99 for 25pounds. It's about as dust free as any other catlitter. With 16 cat litter boxes, I need to use somethingcost effective. I've found mixing 1/2 clay litter and 1/2Woody Pet works very well in the cat litter boxes.

Well since i couldnt get my hands on woody pet ican't say if its better or worse but I know i am really liking what Ihave. I just figured after the drive and the gas i wouldntsave buying woody pet so when i heard about this other brand i jumpedon it. I hope people don' t think I am talking badabout woody pet, cause I am not just think people who cant get to woodypet should see if they carry what I am using. Its so muchcheaper I dont have to worry about running out of litter and not havingmoney to buy more.

I will check out the kitty litter brand mentioned. As my cats get older I am having to pay more attention that the box is clean.

Cristy

Hey I need help. With 6 rabbits I need to get Woody Pet or something similar and cheap. Does anyone have a clue where I can get it in the Toronto area or even better in the Durham area?Thanks

Susan:)

I don't know about that area, have you tried looking it up online? They might have a list of stores where it's sold.

So I went to a Home Hardware here in Ajax, well the guy looked at me as if I was nuts :shock:when I asked if they sold Wood Stove Pellets. He even went to the back to see if I could order them the answer was NO. Someone on another forum said they picked them up at a Home hardware. My next stop will be Ronas. Does anyone have any idea what area they would be sold in?

Thanks

Susan:)

The local Rona's in Vancouver sell a brand of wood pellets called "Firemaster". Should be about $5 a bag.

You other option is to try to find a feed store with in driving distance just outside of Toronto. Then buy a whole bunch at a time so you don't have to go that often.

Any place that sells horse supplies should have compressed wood pellets designed for horse stalls.

The other brand that is found in pet stores over here is Pine Stall. There are lots of brands in BC because we have such a huge logging industry and the wood pellets are normally made from offcasts in mills.

I would definitely get on the phone and call around to some different pet stores, feed stores, or anywhere that sells wood burning supplies.

--Dawn

That is strange Home Hardware doesn't know anything about wood pellets.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked Home Hardware (Edmonton) about the wood stove pellets and they told me they weren't in yet.
The next day they received a pallet (about 60 bags) and I picked up a bag.

Susan,this is the item # 5515114 that is listed as Wood Pellets on my invoice.
4o lbs. of Dragon Mountainwood pellets costs $4.99

seniorcats wrote:
found mixing 1/2 clay litter and 1/2Woody Pet works very well in the cat litter boxes.
I recently started doing this as well and works great. I use tidy cats non clumping"multiple cats"litter. It's usually $7-8 for 40lbs. Mixing 1/2 and 1/2 with the ABM (wood pellet litter I can get around here.) It absorbs well and keeps the smell away.

Ok so here's a real DUMB question:ponder:. If the Bunnies eat this stuff can it expand in their tummies like it expands when they Pee Pee on it. I certainly don't want them to get sick from it.

I ended up getting some from Rona.

Thanks

Susan:apollo:

SOOOSKA wrote:
I ended up getting some from Rona.

What type is it and how much did they cost?
I might be going to Rona to get some new keys cut.

Whenever my bunnies pee on the cage floor, I pour a few pellets on the pee for it to soak up instead of wiping it with a towel. Then I sweep the sawdust and put it into their litter box.
Never saw my bunnies eat the wood pellets.It would probably break down to fine crumbswhen they chew on it anyways.

Back