UPDATE ON PINKY!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl322

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry I have not posted in a while. We have been busy watching life go by. I hope everybunny had a great christmas and a very happy new year. This post is about Pinky, my hairless English Lop. Yes, HE (thought he was a she) is doing well... However, He has lost use of his legs and since then we keep him in a sweater so he does not scoot around in his cage and hurt his fragile skin and bones. When I take him out of the cage, and place him on the floor, he is able to move, just not really fast. I am thinking that his bones are week and it may have something to do with genetics... Do not quote me on that for sure though, because I do not know, I am just guessing at this point. My breeder has, like none of you, ever seen a hairless English Lop and she has been breeding for over 20 plus years. When I asked her about Pinky and his condition and what I should do for him she said the only thing I can do is love him unconditionally. Our pets our not promised to us for any length of time so while they are here we must cherish them. I thought this was really good advice! That is exactly what we do, we love everybunny unconditionally. Anyway, I will keep you guys updated on him. Daddy is thinking about making him a wheelchair! hmmmm...wonder how it will turn out. LOL!! :lookaround

I was just recently wondering how Pinky was doing. I'm sorry it isn't better, but it sounds like he is holding his own. And clearly he's getting wonderful care & loving.

No, not vet, I do not trust any around here. For all who has inquired below this post, he is doing okay, he just isnt mobile anymore.... He does love his new little jacket his grandma has made for him though. He is doing wonderful giving the circumstances... Also, I bred on the 17th and will have two new bundles of bunny joy around the 14th of feb. WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!!

Thanks... It seems as though one thing after another is going on with him. I must remember he is a blessing from the Lord and we must cherish each day because we are never promised tomorrow with each other... I just love him to death but there has been other issues with him. About a month or so ago he started chewing his skin... It was so bad that I had to make him a little sweater to wear because he was literally tearing his skin. Well, after a few weeks, his tummy healed. I came home from school one day and looked in his pin and he was eating his skin on his hindquarters... It is now a dried bloody mess.... Just last week, I woke up to him chewing his feet. One of his feet are red, inflamed, and a dried bloody mess!! I just don't know what to do with him... :? Well, let's see, the newest thing going on is a gunky, yucky eye infection... Yeah, so naturally I watch him closely, I medicate him correctly, keep him wrapped in his "hoody" etc etc etc.... I am wondering if he is not "chewing" himself because he itches so bad bc of the dry skin.... Hmmmm.. I have rubbed him in vasoline, gold bond medicated powders, etc etc etc... not at once of course, I do know a little about what I am doing but... GEESH!! I am confused... He is so unique and special to me... Does any one have any ideas or thoughts about my Pinky??? LOL :confused2:

Have you tried bag balm? It was originally made for cows, but it is fantastic at healing dry, itchy skin. You can get it at the pharmacy with other lotions.

He could be chewing his skin because he's in so much pain. I know it's hard, but I think if he gets much worse it's time to let him go, sound like he is suffering.

I have used the bag balm on him, yes. As far as "pain," I don't think that is the case. I think he just gets itchy. When he first chewed his tummy we kept it clean and even covered it with a little handmade sweater to help the healing process and he left it alone finally and it healed. When he chewed his reaer end, I could not find a way to keep it covered so I just left his little sweater on him and prayed he would leave it alone and he has done just that, THANK GOD!! He still gets around on his two front paws when we put him on the floor and he lets you hold him like a little baby also. He is a kissy bug and always gives kisses so it's not like he is showing any signs of pain or "depression" to say the least. I would never put him down until he showed no signs of life (i.e., cleaning him self, not eating, or drinking, etc...) He is doing good, I just got to stop him from chewing. My husband suggested that maybe he knows more than we do and there is a reason for him chewing himself. I have noticed that where hechews and the skin scabs over and eventually falls off and the new skin is under it that it is nice and soft and pink... maybe he is smarter than us...lol!! Only time will tell I suppose! Until then, he will be forever my "special needs" bunny.... and I will love him unconditionally... :inlove:

Sorry, I don't think I saw the original thread, what's his history?

If he's itchy have you tested and/or treated for mites? Or other issue that effect the skin. If he's genetically (or metabolically) hairless then it might not present the same as you'd see in a rabbit with fur - none to loose :) Being itchy is not normal for rabbits or hairless animals in general, so if he's going to the extreme of damaging himself I would guess there is something causing it.

You have to be careful with rabbits with long term issues that you don't attribute everything to the original problem as they can get completely unrelated problems now and then just like a health rabbit :)

Like wise I would treat for EC for hind leg weakness, and also try out a painkiller and see if that shows any difference - particularly if he's chewing down from the site were his movement is restricted as it maybe he's getting some pain. I know you don't think his behaviourally but as you know rabbits are good at hiding pain and sometimes until they've had the painkiller and you find there is a difference you just can't tell. If he has metabolic bone issues (weak bones) they can cause spurs on the spine resulting in paralysis - but that can be quite painful compared to something like a spinal injury which leaves no feeling below a certain point.

Hairless animals are also prone to eye infections - does he have eyelashes - many hairless animals don't which means they don't get the protection they offer from brushing against things.

Wow!! I have not thought about that... and yes, he does get eye infections... He has one now and I am using terramycin on him. I do not see any signs of mites. I believe the blood lines are getting too tight with my breeder and it was just genetic that he had no hair... the weak bones however are a different story, I am not sure what happened... He is chewing below his hips though, so I wonder if it is pain... hmmm... Wow! now you have my mind racing. What kind of painkiller would you suggest for him because I have never given any of my buns painkillers....

"Sorry, I don't think I saw the original thread, what's his history?

If he's itchy have you tested and/or treated for mites? Or other issue that effect the skin. If he's genetically (or metabolically) hairless then it might not present the same as you'd see in a rabbit with fur - none to loose :) Being itchy is not normal for rabbits or hairless animals in general, so if he's going to the extreme of damaging himself I would guess there is something causing it.

You have to be careful with rabbits with long term issues that you don't attribute everything to the original problem as they can get completely unrelated problems now and then just like a health rabbit :)

Like wise I would treat for EC for hind leg weakness, and also try out a painkiller and see if that shows any difference - particularly if he's chewing down from the site were his movement is restricted as it maybe he's getting some pain. I know you don't think his behaviourally but as you know rabbits are good at hiding pain and sometimes until they've had the painkiller and you find there is a difference you just can't tell. If he has metabolic bone issues (weak bones) they can cause spurs on the spine resulting in paralysis - but that can be quite painful compared to something like a spinal injury which leaves no feeling below a certain point.

Hairless animals are also prone to eye infections - does he have eyelashes - many hairless animals don't which means they don't get the protection they offer from brushing against things."

Metacam is generally the most commonly used painkiller for rabbits, so I would start with that and see if it helps. It comes in different concentrations for different animals so be careful calculating the dose.

Tbh, as treating for mites is relatively cheap & easy I'd do it even without symptoms just on the grounds you can then cross it off the list. With such a unique bunny, you are probably always going to be ruling things out rather than hitting the problem first time :)

Well, the day finally came where I had to send pinky to Heaven... It's been about three weeks now.. Last accidental thing was fly strike... It was just beginning but I was not going to let them eat him alive... He will truely be missed, poor lil thing, He almost made it a year.... :pray:

Back